Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubricating the upper v-rail - Do I, Don't I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating the upper v-rail - Do I, Don't I?

My Amaya just started making a rattle noise occasionally when the hoop is moving. It's not constant, nor is it on a particular needle and honestly I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from. My first thought is that something needs to be lubricated. I'm very consistent in lubricating the rotary hook, the reciprocator guide and the the upper and lower needle bars. Beyond that, I'm clueless. I don't use my machine consistently, I do watch the timers and they are haven't "timed out" yet. I do have an annual checkup done by a Melco tech. I've read and printed the lubrication section of the manual and am going thru it step by step.

I have a question about the Upper V rail. Does it get oiled or not? On one page it says one drop on one side, one on the other moving the needle back and forth, however on that same page under step 2 is reads: IMPORTANT: Make sure there is no oil or grease is applied to the upper v-rail. (This sentence makes no sense to me and it's grammatically incorrect. So, Do I or Don't I oil the upper V rail?

I don't think this has anything to do with the rattle I hear, but since I'm already confused I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

Lastly, if anyone can give me a clue about the occasional rattle when the hoop is moving

Thanks, T ; )

Check and be sure your arms you slide your hoop into are screwed on snuggly.
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

NO OIL ON THR UPPER "V" RAIL
      Just make sure it is kept clean.
      [email protected]
      Jerome in Minnesota
      (320)259-1151

Comment

orry Greenwing....wrong information on the oiling.....When the Reds came out we oiled, when the XT and XTS were created they had changed the composition of the V rail slider blocks and the instructions were to just keep them clean, but now we have the "EMT16" series.

On page 208 of the online Operators manual of Verson 11 software for the EMT16, it specifically indicates to place a drop of oil on both sides of the V rail close to the needle case, move the needle case to the other side and do the same after wiping it clean.....

It is getting harder to just give generic instruction that will cover the different series machines....

Big Reds----Yes--oil
        XT---no oil ---just clean
        XTS---no oil---just clean
        EMT16---yes---oil

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

As to the rattling... it's hard to say w/o hearing it, but when the thumb screws that hold the hoop arms to the machine wore out on mine, they would loosen up after the machine had been sewing for a while and the hoop would rattle a bit. I also experienced wanky stitches when this happened so maybe that's not your problem, but it's worth checking to make sure your screws are tight.

Comment

You all had me worried - just yesterday on two machines I did V Rail oiling. One drop on q-tip - spread across the rail on the left, repeat on the right. I have 4 Reds. I guess the OS knows if you are running a Red or an XT and gives you the maintenance that is specific to your machine. As Johnny Carson said - I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

On the rattling - is it true rattling or making noise? Sewing arms definitely would do that. I was also thinking of the little retaining finger/arm on the top front of the bobbin/hook area being loose.

If it's a grinding/whining noise - the cable tension might need to be tightened.

Or maybe your presser foot is all the way down instead of down and one or two clicks up?

Just trying to think what might make noise.

When you say your timers haven't timed out yet - how long have you had the machine? Assuming this is new and that would mean you've at least had it a while and it didn't make this sound before. Did you buy it used? If so, how long did it sit?

First thing I do when I get a new machine (among other things) is run thru ALL the maintenance timers so I have a baseline and I know everything is current and properly lubricated and start from there.
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
            Hilton Head Island, SC
            http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your guidance. It was the left hoop arm. Such a simple thing, but very perplexing at the time. I sincerely appreciate this friendly board.

Comment

Working...
              X