EMT 16 Breaking Needles on caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMT 16 Breaking Needles on caps

I have been trying to sew four ball caps since last night. I keep getting needle breaks. I tried lowering presser foot, I tried raising presser foot. I tried slowing down machine I am using 75/11 sharp needle and logo is complicated and I was thinking it was a density problem. So I even had logo redigitized. What am I doing wrong?

Do you get the thread breaks in the same place all the time? Getting a design digitized or re-digitized does not guarantee that it will not be too dense. In Design shop, under Tools, there is a Filter that when used on a design will spread out the needle penetrations according to the parameters you set. This really does work.

How big, and how many stitches is the design? Can you stitch it out on a flat without thread breaks? What kind of hat - unstructured or structured? Are you using stabilizer? Are you having trouble hooping it? Is the design in "native" ofm? That is, was it digitized in Design Shop? I use Q Digitizing and they do a very good and very fast job. Well worth the $25. Then it is a snap for me to go in and tweak it myself.

If you want to, send the design to me and I'll take a look at it. julid at hawaii.rr.com
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

I am not getting thread breaks just lots of needle breaks. I use a digitizer in Montreal I just paid $75 to have this digitized it's constructed cap canvas six panel ball cap I am using a tear away cap backing.

Comment

Send me the design

Comment

what's your email address

Comment

Probably isn't the design - but could be...

1) If you are using the raised needle plate (don't know if the emt's come with that) don't bother. I know we had issues with needle breaks when we did.

2) Make sure the needle is centered in the needle plate. Needle down and adjust, then tighten the needle plate screws.

3) Hat hooped properly - If you are using a WACF, see Herb's video here on the site. If it's CCF http://www.melco-service.com/source1/Hooping_a_Cap_on_the_CCF.htm

4) Presser foot - all the way down, 1 or two clicks up.

5) Thread feed - auto - minimum at 3 or 4.

6) Digitizing. Center out, bottom up.

7) 850-950 SPM Speed

8) One or two pieces of tear away backing

Can't tell you the last time we broke a needle on hats except for the first week or so trying to sew out one with the raised needle plate.

John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Oh, and $75 for a cap design is INSANE. Most designs we send out are $35-40 max.
              John Yaglenski

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

this guy does a awesome job and logo is 2.3" high with 13000 stitches I don't mind paying for quality digitizing. I don't have a raise needle plate the needle is dead center and I am hooping just like buddy on video but I will try tread feed thing

Comment

How can I send someone a file? I am not sure what you saying about center out bottom up?

Comment

Off hand, I'd say the 13ooo stitches in way too many stitches. [email protected]

Comment

Just click on my address and send as an attachment. This is terribly basic stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by danikasdad View Post
                        How can I send someone a file? I am not sure what you saying about center out bottom up?
                        I only go 2.25 inches tall max on designs. 99% of everything we sew on caps is 2" or less in height.

Designs for hats need to be digitized specifically for hats. That means they are to run center out and bottom up when sewn. You digitizer should do this as long as you specify the design is for hats.

And trust me ALL my designs that I get done are quality - paying too much has nothing to do with it - but if you are happy, then great!
                        John Yaglenski

Comment

2.3 inches is a bit tall for most caps. I would make it 1.9 no taller than 2 inches.
                          Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

John I just sewed it on flats three layers of backing not one thread break thanks for all the tips. I will await your thoughts on digitizing.

Comment

Hi there

I have the EMT16 and will give you some suggestions on how we get our hats to run.

1) Make sure your design sews from bottom up, this is really important if you have lettering at the bottom with your logo.

2) Run your machine at 1000 spm, the V11 software doesn't like it when you go too slow.

3) Make sure your needle is centered in the silver thread plate.

4) When you trace your hat make sure the bill does not touch the back of the machine and push on it. We trace till it just touches (depending on our design. )

5) Make sure your pressure foot isn't pushing up close on the needle when it sews. You might have to push on the pressure foot back a bit.

6) Your backing should be smooth inside the hat when you hoop it and use enough that the hat doesn't move on the hoop.

7) Acti-feed set to auto -- Start at 7 and go up from there if it seems too tight.

Melco also has out now the Bobbin Tension Gauge Item #34746 that gets the tension just right to run the EMT16's. We just got ours and was amazed at how tight our tension was
                              machine runs great.

Hope this helps
                              Linda H
                              Melco Certified Trainer and Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X