Thread Storage - What do YOU do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Storage - What do YOU do?

So, we have a client that uses Madeira thread and as a result, our thread collection is going to grow bigger than it already is (which is fairly huge).

Looking to find how all of you store your thread out there. Now, we have wall racks but they are full, and there is no more wall space - so we're looking for containers of some sort, ideally that you could see into (but not mandatory).

To get things started I'll post our wall racks. These were simple thread racks from Jo-Ann's. They were originally wood color, and we spray painted them black. Then screwed them to the wall in rows. Turned out well - until we doubled and then some the amount of thread we have.

Please share what you to do store your thread - space is limited here

1175157_593469184025923_397674287_n.jpg
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Anyone have any thoughts - or are you all too busy sewing
    John Yaglenski

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

I have my primary colors on a custom built oak wall rack holding about 70 cones. Duplicates and oddball are in clear tubs.

Comment

I have plastic shoe boxes for spools and a 3 drawer plastic storage box for cones that are not on machine.

Comment

I went to Staples when I started out (ahem!) years ago, and bought rolling office storage drawers. They are short enough they roll under the table and out of the way easily. The drawers are opaque, so I sort by color family (reds, blues, etc).

Comment

We use long pegs so we can put up to 3 large cones on one peg.

Comment

I have lots of thread. I managed to find a slightly used, reasonably priced 3-drawer vertical file, 48" wide. I created some dividers, placed them as needed according to how many spools of each color I had. Then I placed all the colors in their respective 'bins', so when I want a particular color, I go to bin and choose which shade I need. The file cabinet holds an amazing amount of thread and the ones I use regularly are readily found. Does not take up a large amount of space, either.

Comment

I use wooden racks I made for both backing and thread. Thread rack dowels are space 3 inches apart. I get my thread nets free from a flower shop. They just throw them away after taking them off flowers. I wash them & let them dry. Just slip them over thread on the ones that don't have a snap bottom. My backing holders are made from wooden towel holders. I buy long dowel rods if I need wider widths. I am going to try to attach pics.
                Connie in NC

P1160009.jpgP1160001.jpgP1160005.jpgP1160006.jpg

Comment

Very cool - thanks for the pictures. For us, it's a matter of space. We've run out of wall space in our sewing area and already have done what I posted. So I guess some sort of cabinet system is what we are looking for that can exist just outside the embroidery room.

Keep the pictures coming - love to see how everyone has things set up!
                  John Yaglenski

Comment

Working...
                  X