Opinions needed re: hook wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed re: hook wash

Considered doing the WD 40 hook wash as we use a great deal of sticky backing and some adhesives. Mentioned this to our tech, and he has never heard of this. So now am wondering if this is a good idea, or not worth the bother. I can see crud in that hook area, but can't reach the entire area to wipe off. Better to just take apart what's needed to get to the area, or do the hook wash?

The hook wash works well- I can't stand the smell. I've had a can for almost 3 years, and it's still nearly full. But I don't do the sticky backing. Do you have compressed air available (not canned air- not nearly strong enough)? Use the hook wash and blow out the area thoroughly afterward and wipe the machine down. Don't forget to oil the hook and the trimmer after you use it. The hook was (nor WD40) is a replacement for oil.
    P.S.- the brand I have is called "fixyourstitch"- still smells like WD40...got it from Madeira.
    Gregory

Comment

Judy from Kona will probably have something to say about this one as I had her do this when she was having so much trouble with her XT trimmers, and thread breaking. It solved her problems because she also had been using a lot of the adhesives. Doing the hook wash will not hurt anything and will certainly clean things up. The WD40 will disolve the adhesives and crud that builds up from the glues that you are using.

It does not suprise me to hear that your tech has not heard of this. WD 40 is used for many things and it is an old trick of the trades. Guess it takes an old dude to remember the old ways. Just ask any young person what 2 bits, 4 bits or 6 bits is?

WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a penetrating oil which will free moving parts up but will also dry out pretty quickly. Always clean and lubricate with the proper machine oil after doing the hook washing.

I create a large fill design, square, rectangle, circle, doesn't matter. Just something that will allow the machine to run continuously. If you can't create the fill, just pick on a design that will allow the machine to run as continous as possible for a bit. It does not matter which needle is the active needle.

Lay an old towel under the sewing arm. Remove the bobbin. Go into Settings and uncheck "All Thread Protection". Lift the pinch lever on the needle you are going to sew on. Slow down your speed to 300 to 600 or so, just so it doesn't want to throw the fluid everywhere. Spray the WD40 into, and all over the rotary hook area agressively. Give it time to disolve, spray some more. Clean the bobbin case with WD 40 also.

Use compressed air to blow it dry and then lubricate with sewing machine oil. That's it!!

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 bits here. If you have been using a spray adhesive or sticky backing, and are having trouble with trimming, broken threads, are frustrated beyond endurance, then the WD-40 wash will probably solve the problem. It ended years of frustration for me! And again, THANK YOU Rod!

Juli in Kona
        Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Thanks Everyone! I thought it surely couldn't hurt. Rod, your instructions were the only one I've seen that mentioned slowing down the machines, which makes perfect sense unless of course, you like to spray things as far as the eye can see! [img]smile.gif[/img]
          HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Comment

Did my first hook wash since purchasing my three XTs years ago. Nice to see the hook look clean like new. Should be a yearly maintenance item for all who use sprays or sticky backed tackle twill. Thanks Juli and Rod!
            Jimmie Jones<br />TJ\'s Designs<br />319 Howard Ave.<br />Vallejo CA 94589

Comment

Yearly?! I do a hook wash after any big project for which I've used spray adhesive. It only takes a minute and our 2004 Big Red is still going strong. One thing that I have discovered that makes it easier and tidier is to put a plastic bag over the stitch arm while doing the wash.

Comment

Instead of WD40 i use a product called hook wash. www.hookwash.com

Comment

WD40 is cheaper. Although it doesn't include a lubricant in it's formula, it takes a few seconds to oil the hook and knife with machine oil.

Comment

Working...
                  X