No announcement yet.

satin stitch density

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point. That should help keep the puckering in check.
    Thanks for sharing that tidbit.
    Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Jerome, you have suggested this to an inquiry of mine before, but, dense as I am, I don't quite get it. How does one apply a fill underlay to a satin column, say a singleline or column 1? I rarely use complex columns or fill elements with satin stitch because they don't allow the control over stitch direction that other column elements do. If I have a satin column of variable width that curls around in an arc, wouldn't a fill underlay go all in one direction rather than follow the curve around the element? I think of zig zag underlay as lying perpendicular to the edge of the column regardless of how it changes direction, so Mary's suggestion of applying one with multiple penetrations seems to be a good idea; I just don't see how to do it. What I'm looking for is good coverage with minimal stitches, especially on velvet.

Comment

I tried this in DS Lite, which is all I have now, and I get a fill stitch that follows the contour of the letter including the curves, but has a simple step back on the return stitch. The step back parallels the outside edge, so the fill would need to be inset from the edge so that it does not peek out. MK, do you have the slow redraw option in your version of DS? I can run that in small steps and see what is happening. I do not have a zig-zag-like step back option in DS Lite, but maybe you do?
        By the way, MK, do you have a printed manual? I have an old one (DS7 vintage, perhaps) that I found in my shop that you can have, if you want it. I was not happy with the depth of the discussion of underlay, though, but it did say that the stitch length of the zig-zag underlay was defaulted to 15 pts. Can you change the default? And does anyone even know what 15 pts is in physical measurements?

Comment

What is a "step back" ?
          Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

It's the transition step from the forward movement to the backward movement of the pantogram. For lack of the real terminology. I am not an expert or a programmer. Sorry. I hope this makes some sense, somehow.

Comment

Mary, maybe I'm particularly dense today because I have a cold, but I have no idea what you're describing. I do have a paperback manual, but you're right, there's not much in it. Thank you for the offer. I have DS Pro+, so I can do a slow redraw. I usually do this when I have completed a design to make sure the design is going to stitch out as planned - I've been known to accidentally move an element or forget to change entry/exit points to coincide with my stitch order.

Each point is 1/10th of a millimeter, so 15 points is 1.5 millimeters or less than 1/16"(points divided by 254 = inches).

Comment

Oh my, MK. I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for the clarification about points to mms. I just can't get it to stick in my head.
                I don't mean to be unclear. If you'd like, we could talk voice to voice on Monday?
                Thanks, M

Comment

Fill is an option for what type of underlay you want.
                  edge walk
                  center walk
                  zig zag
                  double zig zag
                  fill
                  it then can be adjusted to density and stitch lengh ect....
                  [email protected]
                  Jerome in Minnesota
                  (320)259-1151

Comment

Aha, that explains it, Jerome. My ancient version of DS must be the problem because fill is not an option under type of underlay; it only lists the first four types of underlay under the column tab.

Like most math, for me, it sticks if I use it a lot and I use the point to inches conversion a lot when I'm digitizing. It's easier to work with metric, but at some point I have to convert to inches because that's what I use for sewing.

Comment

What version of DS do you have?

Comment

I haven't got it in front of me now, but it's V5.something. I know that the new versions have all kinds of goodies, but I find what I have so amazing that I'm happy with it for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X