satin stitch density

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satin stitch density

I seem to remember reading that if a high density is needed for satin columns it is better to digitize it in two layers at half the density to reduce puckering. For example, if a density of 3.0 gives the coverage needed, it will sew out better if the element is digitized at @ 6.0 with a 6.0 underlay @100% width. Does anyone know if this works, and if so, why?

I sew 90% of satin at 4.0 and a double walking stitch underlay. If it's really wide you can add a satin underneath at about 8.0 density. You will have to adjust these settings depending on the thread color. The darker the thread the higher the density you can use. Example. I would sew white thread at about 3.6. I would sew dark gray/silver at 4.2.

Hope this helps.
    Chris & Cindy

Comment

Thanks for replying, but I sew satin stitch on everything from brocades to velvet and vary my density accordingly. I was hoping for some feedback on whether tight density or less density with underlay works better for reducing puckering. It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and just start running some tests.

Comment

When I have puckering on satin stitches (or fills), I look first at the fill. A proper fill will allow you to have less density in the top. Also, sometimes I throw a tear-away under and that helps. And, look at the lower limit. There are just so many things. ?But once you figure it out, write it down for the next time.

Juli in Kona
        Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

When I have puckering on satin stitches (or fills), I look first at the FILL. A proper FILL

Sorry, I meant underlays! Maybe I should go eat something to nourish my brain.

Juli in Kona

Comment

If you have a wide-ish satin, you might like to use a double zig-zag along with an edge walk underlay. Also, if the stitch is really wide, shorten the zig-zag stitch length so that it makes more than one penetration in the zig and the zag to avoid puckering by the underlay itself.
            Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

I have been using a double zig zag underlay under my satin columns on velvet, but I'd like to try your suggestion for multiple penetrations. I don't seem to have the option to choose this as a type of underlay; do you duplicate the element and then change the stitch type to the shortened ziz zag? Since I have an old version of DS I can only specify my edge walks by percentage of width rather than by a particular number of points from the edge of the element. Even at 80%, the edge walk can peak out, especially on narrower parts of a column so I have stopped using it. I was hoping that by using a higher density I could get good coverage with a lower stitch count and less puckering.

Comment

oops, I meant "peek" out; I don't exactly know how an edge walk would "peak" out.

Comment

Can you control the stitch length of the underlay? Then, if the underlay column was 3mm, you could set the stitch length of the underlay to 2mm. That would give you one penetration just off center. If the column got narrow, say 1.7mm, then you would have no penetration in the middle.

Juli in Kona

Comment

Nope, not on my dinosaur version of DS.

Comment

Hey, MK,
                      I'll look at my Design Shop for settings. As you know, I use Wilcom, and current settings sort of match up between Wilcom and DS, but I know where you are coming from with your old DS. I'll let you know what I figure out, if you haven't already.

Comment

Even after all these years I'm still discovering things that I didn't know I could do with DS, so I would appreciate any wisdom you have. Thanks, Mary.

Comment

I'm sorry to say that I was not successful in finding a setting for the stitch length of a zig-zag underlay in Design Shop. That's not too surprising, though, since none of the experts chimed in with the same suggestion.
                          I'm going to install DS on my other computer and play around with a couple of ideas.
                          I'll focus on wider columns, where the edge walk of 80% should not be part of the issue (peeking, not peaking [img]smile.gif[/img] out), but where puckering is more likely to be a problem. I'll let you know.

Comment

Hey, MK, if you have access to "advanced" under top stitching properties, see if you can modify travel length under fill params. And /or filter params max st length. I set them to 7mm travel length and max stitch length and got multiple penetrations on the zig/zag simulation. This is on my Windows 7 PC with DS9. I was testing earlier on XP w DS9.
                            This could help you. I'll continue to look at other ideas.

Comment

A zig zag under lay with a stitch length is a "fill". you can set it to the stitch length you want.
                              a zigzag is only a loose (low density) satin I rearly use it, not as usful as a fill for keeping things in place.
                              [email protected]
                              Jerome in Minnesota
                              (320)259-1151

Comment

Working...
                              X