best needle for small text? and performance material question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best needle for small text? and performance material question

i am working on some performance material shirts (under armor type) and i was wondering if anyone has found a base setup such as, what type of backing, what size/type of needle, topping, etc? Any recommendations will help.

also, i have had many issues with small text in general on all styles of garments. i am using mostly the pre-digitized melco fonts in my designs but I run into a lot of issues with the bobbin showing through. does anyone know why this occurs with most small texts? Would using a ballpoint needle help?
    Michael Iarocci
    The Max Screen Printing & Embroidery
    759 Lakeshore Blvd.
    Painesville, OH 44077
    [email protected]
    Work: 440-357-0036
    Mobile: 440-862-3068

Mike,

I am new to the embroidery world and have been on a steep learning curve. Embroidery stitching is basically a tug-o-war between the top thread and the bobbin thread. The bobbin thread is suppose to win by 2/3rds. Hence the three color stripe results on the backing.

When you see the bobbin thread on top that means that the top needle pulled the bobbin thread through.

Small text is tricky because there is not much time/space between each top needle penetration stitches which needs to be countered by bobbin tension.

The remedy to control this problem may be found in a TOWA Bobbin Tension Gauge.

tm1-detail.jpg

With this gauge you can control the bobbin tension with precision. We can control the top thread via the amaya but the bobbin is just a guess.

Inobu
    Last edited by inobu; 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I use #10 needles that are between a sharp and a ball point. I use these for everything and buy them by the 100/pkg. Small lettering comes out beautiful. For stabilizer, for you being new, I'd recommend an iron-on no-show. This will keep the material from shifting.

One of the things a newbie does is hoop too tight. That's why I like the iron-on.

I don't have the bobbin gauge - I just do the drop test. Be sure the the bobbin case is clean under the leaf spring. All kinds f crap gets under there and it will effect your bobbin tension. Clean it out with a business card. Make sure you are oiling the race every day you use your machine.

I often add pull comp to lettering - maybe 30 to 60%. I just like thicker lettering. /but you have to use your judgement.

Hope these tips help.

Juli in Kona
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

thank you both for your tips, i am going to first try the #10 needle and then if i still have problems i'm sure the bobbin gauge is an invaluable item to have for any embroiderer
        Michael Iarocci
        759 Lakeshore Blvd.
        Painesville, OH 44077
        [email protected]

Comment

This is just my 2 Cents.
          I don't think a needle change is going to be the solution. Columns that show bobbin thread are caused by improper tension. Having a gauge is great but you need to understand how the battle rages. If you set the material thickness to small the machine sends less thread. The result is more bobbin thread being pulled up. If it it too large the opposite happens. Most new folks have a minimal grasp of material thickness, likely based on what they were told some type of garment will be. One of the magical things about the AMAYA system is it's ability to auto adjust. You do have to give it some guidelines though.
          What are you sewing on and what machine settings were you using. These are more important variables than what needle one is using.
          Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

It happens on a wide variety of garments that I use. Maybe because I normally leave the material thickness on auto. I have adjusted the bobbin tension and had small positive results but not to the degree I would like. I usually slow my speed down for small text as well to around 850spm
            Michael Iarocci
            759 Lakeshore Blvd.
            Painesville, OH 44077
            [email protected]

Comment

What are you setting the minimum material thickness to?
              Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

i am usually running the minimum thickness at 2
                Michael Iarocci
                759 Lakeshore Blvd.
                Painesville, OH 44077
                [email protected]

Comment

Working...