No announcement yet.

Change element type in DS not working anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFM & CND files if they are native not merged files are both object oriented files. there is not stitches contained in them.
    they are a file that an area is defined lets say a 1" square that square has the information that tells the machine or software to fill it with stitches at this degree at this density ect. no stitches.
    EXP format is the same "except" the square is no longer a shape it is an area of plotted needle points.
    if you make an OFM file 2 times as big the instructions that fill it do not change so it will be just larger.
    an EXP file made bigger will have the same # of stitches spread out unless you use a program that can try and figure out the density and maintain it.
    That is where the distortions come in.
    That is why the OFM & CND and most "Native" formats use a condensed file type.
    Converting to wire frame makes the object into a shape or condensed format...

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Greenwing; 02-01-2014, 10:23 PM.
    [email protected]
    Jerome in Minnesota
    (320)259-1151

Comment

Thanks for all the great information on ofm/cnd/exp formats. Cnd has always been my 2nd choice and now I know why.

One more question though. If a user that has a version of DS lower than DS Pro Plus Version 9 opens an ofm file does it still appear in their software as it does in Version 9? Or is it more like looking at an exp file in the project window?

Marcelle
      Machine Embroidery Designs, Mardi Gras, Baby, Children, Butterfly, Dragonfly, Flower, Immediate Download, Party, Holiday, Amazing Quality, Hearts, Monograms, Alphabets, Large Designs, Mouse, pattern

Embroidery Design Sales, Free Embroidery Designs, Hot Fix Crystals, Embroidery Designs Digitizers, Graphics for Embroidery, Thread & Supplies for Embroidery, Embroidery Machines, Equipment & Accessories, Embroidery Software for Digitizing, Resizing, Thread Conversion, Embroidery Related Users Lists, Sewing & Fabric Related Websites, Web Site Designers for Embroidery Sites, Sewing & Fabric Related Websites
      Marcelle Lewis
      http://embroideryavenue.com
      http://embroidery.gotop100.com

Comment

If you don't own the software that created the original file and use it to edit a file for the most part you will me working with a stitch file not an object file.
        It is a bummer I know but working in the files Native (original) format in the original software is the only way to have full control over a design.
        CND files I have used opening in DS seem to be expanded data already.

As for your other question about OFM version compatibility.
        If it is saved in a earlier version format the software usually expands the data making it a stitch file not an object file.
        I will not swear to this but it is what I have found the few times I have done it.
        [email protected]
        Jerome in Minnesota
        (320)259-1151

Comment

Thanks Jerome, that's very helpful. So it seems that ordering CND version of a file will not be very different from an EXP file if the CND wasn't originally digitized with the same software I am using... they will both be stitch files rather than object files. Do I understand correctly?

Comment

That has been my experience....
            Sorry...
            [email protected]
            Jerome in Minnesota
            (320)259-1151

Comment

Regarding the PES file format, is that an object based or stitch based format? We only have the DS software in use here.

Comment

Any none OFM format brought into DS will be Stitched based..
                [email protected]
                Jerome in Minnesota
                (320)259-1151

Comment

that is "any not OFM Format"
                  [email protected]
                  Jerome in Minnesota
                  (320)259-1151

Comment

Thanks Jerome, that's what I thought. I'm going to get a bit off subject here, but.... Have you ever tried using a color chart of your own in DS? If I read it right, one can use a previously used color chart they have and place it into DS to access and use like the ones that come with the software. I know you can create your own within DS color chart area by selecting the brands and colors and saving as a custom palette or chart, but it sounded like you can use an existing chart made up somewhere else and throw it into the correct folder to use. Anyone ever try this? Does it work? What file format must it be in, clr. ????

Comment

Working...
                    X