Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to ask very novice level questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to ask very novice level questions?

I am almost ready to order my 1st multi needle machine, I've picked the Amaya xts. I would like to know what people love and dislike, is it a difficult learning curve? Most common hoops? Any other helpful tidbits?

I have been doing embroidery on my expensive single needle home machines for about 7 years.
    I do not have my machine yet, and will get 1-2 days of training, hopefully that will be enough, hopefully!
    Thank you!
    Joanie

Hi Joanie. You'll be so glad you took the plunge! I went from a Singer XL1000 to the original Amaya "Big Red" in 2004. A lot of what you learn transfers over about hooping, etc. If you were using digitizing software, and you bought the digitizing package, you'll learn some new things, but I really LOVE the programs. The quality is amazing, the software does a good job, pre-wound bobbins save you so much time, pro quality backings are so much better than fabric store stuff, and I switched all of my hoops (smaller round ones) over to EMB hoops, also purchased through Melco. They are longer arms, so when you go from the larger rectangle and square hoops to the smaller ones you needn't move the hoop arms. It is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and if you have friends who can't stop talking, just take them to your workroom and watch in amazement as their mouth stops while they watch the machine!

Comment

Thank you Judy, I tried to post a number of times, using my Ipad, it just didn't work, which is ok

Thank you for such a positive response, it is really nice knowing you came from a similar background! I have 2 Bernina emb/sewing machines. I've just out grown them.

I don't understand what the EMB hoop? Longer Arms? I wish I could find videos of the Amaya being used. I love the hat hooping video.

So on hat hooping, I've heard folks chatting about a different type of hoop, not an Amaya and that it is easier, better?

The master hooper, could anyone tell me more about it?

Is it possible to not hoop the garment? Using either a sticky stabilizer or temporary spray adhesive? I'm a lazy hooper :-) and use mostly this method.

In general, is it easier to hoop than on the home machines? I really like the inside hoop is the part that attaches to the machine, that makes a lot of sense.

I didn't get the digitizing package, I use Bernina's software 7, it is written by Wilcom and scaled down. Hmmm, wonder if that is a mistake?

I'm pretty sure that about 6 months from now, when I come back and see this post, I'll just be embarrassed that I was such a ninny :-)

I truly thank you all for your patience and wisdom!
      Joanie

Comment

I'm not as much of an expert as some of the people are in this group, but I've had my Amaya for a few years and have been embroidering for 13 years (Brother PR600). I've never heard of master hooper, but I looked at their website and I don't see anything special about them. A lot of people in this group, including myself, like the Magic hoops. They're the very strong magnetic ones which eliminate having to screw tighten like other hoops. I've never heard of a different hoop to use on the Amaya for caps? There's an older and newer version--you'll obviously get the newer version. Using the regular Amaya hoops, I don't see it as any easier or any harder than home machines. But I really love the magnetic Magic hoops--so easy to hoop and they're so strong, you can even use them with heavy items likes jackets and tote bags, etc. As you'll see if you read older posts from this group, it's not a great idea to use spray adhesives and stuff like that a lot. It will gum things up and have an effect on the running of your machine. Just a few of my thoughts...
        Welcome to the group!
        Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

One thing that lots of us have found out the hard way... don't rely on your pop-up timers for routine maintenance. I strongly recommend more frequent lubrication of the hook basket and more frequent cleaning out of the area under the needle plate where the knife is, especially if you're working with linty fabrics.
          The magnetic hoops everyone is raving about are called the Mighty Hoop, and I would buy them in a New York minute if I could afford it. If you search on this topic you'll find lots of info.

Several of us have had success with using spray adhesive (I like 3M's 505), but I only use it because I have to for certain applications. I wouldn't recommend it just to get out of hooping. If you do use it, then you need to do frequent hook washes to keep your bobbin and knife area clean. Here's a link on the topic:

I spent many evenings searching on various topics when I first found this site; there are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here. We even have a couple of techs who are so amazingly helpful and generous with their wisdom.

Comment

Ooops, yes, the magnetic hoops are called Mighty Hoops, not Magic Hoops! LOL
            They are kind of expensive, but well worth it. I use mine every day. And they help me a lot because I have arthritis and carpal tunnel, so it saves me all the effort of screwing the regular style hoops. There is a hoop company Durkee and I have three of them, but I don't like them too much because they won't hold thick stuff. You can unscrew them to the max, but it's still not enough to hold wool fabric and a couple layers of cut away stabilizers, for example. Plus if you unscrew them to the max, the whole screw mechanism falls out and it's a pain in the butt to get it back in. Just my opinion...
            And Mama Kass is absolutely correct -- when I was new, I just went through tons of old posts and gleaned so much valuable information. And as you come across new problems, just do a search in the archived posts before you ask because you'll probably find an answer! Good Luck!
            Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

My bought my machine a little over a year ago and unf couldn't make it out to Denver for the 2day training so I lost big time on that. There are tons of videos go to melco-service.com and click on source1 link and when u buy machine there is melcouniversity.com

Comment

Thank you all for your information, the melco-service.com site is great! As is this site for all of the info.
                The sales person who I'm working with is actually coming here to do the 2 day training. Everything I'm reading is telling me that the Amaya is the best choice, I'm so excited!
                thank you!
                Joanie

Comment

I'm also new to this group and have only had my machine a few months. My package came with Design Shop. Can anyone tell me if there are online videos for this program?

Comment

There is a great website, melco-service.com (I think). Google, melco source 1
                    Also, melco university, https://melcouniversity.com. You will find lots of software videos.

How are you liking your machine?
                    Joanie Carl

Comment

Working...
                    X