Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred Threads

Hi Everyone!

So, I thought it might be a good idea (given that we're all using the same machines, more or less) to pose the question: What type of thread do you prefer, and why?

I only ask because thus far (And I've only had the Bravo since late January) I've been working with Isacord 40 for the most part, and it's been MOSTLY good, with the occasional fray/skipped trim. On a whim after seeing it at a sewing expo, I grabbed a spool of Glide thread to try in a design that had been CONSISTENTLY (Once or twice per hooping) missing a trim at the end of a particular color, and I've now gone through two hoopings without it happening once. Anecdotal, sure... but it points out that not all threads are created equal, and you guys have been working with these beasts for a lot longer than I have.

So yeah - what's your favorite thread?

I am a devotee of Robison Anton Poly. It runs good, I have very few missed trims or frays or thread breaks. I started using it because the poly is made is USA. Rayon can't be processed in the US, so they have to import their rayon fibers to make the thread. Overall, I do like it's washability and wearability, and it's easy to obtain in a good selection of colors.

Comment

I like Robison Anton poly also. I have a bunch of Robison rayon thread and it doesn't work well at all on the Amaya -- frays all the time no matter what I do (slow speed, etc.). I use it on my Brother PR600 machine and the rayon works fine. I know they don't recommend rayon for high speed industrial machines because it's not strong enough. I have had TERRIBLE experience with a poly brand called Exquisite! Comes off the cone very akwardly, shreds all the time and the hole on the bottom is not big enough for the Amaya thread stands. I will never, ever buy that kind again. Glide has worked pretty well for me too. I've just tried a new brand called Iris from enmart.com and it is working well also and the price is good! I used the Madeira tall cones that came with the machine when I bought it and they're ok, but I just don't like the tall cones. I have not purchased any more Madeira since then.
      Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

I am a BIG fan of Marathon thread. It is so much shinier than RA - there is just no comparison! I gave away all my RA except for the little spools. Have so many of them I use them for the occasional odd colors I sometimes need. I don't use any rayon at all except for some variegated threads.

Juli in Kona
        Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

If you need metallics, RA is very good. For colors we use mostly Madeira rayon because what we embroider is a bit different than most Amaya users. If you've got someone wanting an heirloom quality piece, it's about as close to real silk thread in sheen and color as we've found.

Comment

I will say that for metallics, I've had a TON of luck with the Yenmet spools.

Had a spool of Superior gold metallic that had to be slowed down to 500 to even have a chance of working, and the Yenmet runs trouble-free at 1000, even on a size 11 needle. LOVE this stuff.
            Last edited by GregDean; 03-25-2014, 12:04 AM.

Comment

If you are looking for a metallic that will give you very little trouble.
              Superior threads metallic is just that.
              it is the only one we now use.
              [email protected]
              Jerome in Minnesota
              (320)259-1151

Comment

I have a Bravo and use mostly Metro threads, I probably have some of every brand that I've acquired with machine purchases or deals for my single needle machines but since I've discovered Metro I don't buy anything else. The price can't be beat, fast shipping, even better prices when on sale and they work and look great! I have not yet tried their new brand (Sigma?) but plan to soon. Their color selection may not be as broad as others but I haven't run into any problems yet finding the right colors. I find they work better than the thread that came with my machine.

Comment

Working...
                X