False bobbin thread breaks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False bobbin thread breaks...

Hello! New embroiderer here! I am having an issue with false bobbin breaks on a design. Its a church piece, sewn on a satin type material... using polyneon thread; cut away backing; sewing at 900spm;...and it breaks ALOT...but just during the walk stitch underlay??! It sews; stops, and pulls back so the thread is taunt... and I have to keep cutting and restarting. Once it gets to the fill stitch on top, it sews fine though! Just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this problem?! Thanks so much!

Since you're new, I assume you have an XTS and I have an old Big Red, so I'll let someone else chime in here as to settings. I have found that false bobbin breaks usually indicate flagging - when the fabric jumps up as the needle withdraws from the fabric. The machine backs up automatically after a bobbin break so you can start sewing again at a point before the break; since 99% of the bobbin breaks I've experienced are false ones, I find this feature unhelpful because, as you said, it pulls so hard on the thread which is in fact not broken. Make sure your backing is drum tight in the hoop; I usually have the foot all the way down or one click up for satin; make sure your needle is sharp and free of burrs and that the eye is facing no more than 5 degrees to the right. I have noticed that false bobbin breaks occur more on walk stitches, so if I'm sure everything is OK, I'll make sure my bobbin is plenty full and turn off the bobbin detection for this part of the embroidery. Do you know how to check your bobbin tension? How long are the stitches in your walk underlay; the longer the stitch, the more likely you'll get false bobbin breaks. You should be able to embroider with this combination of fabric and thread at 1000spm with no problem.

Comment

Thank you Mama Kass! I lowered the presserfoot all the way and it solved most of the problem! I didn't think of that! Thank you!
      Originally posted by Mama Kass View Post
      Since you're new, I assume you have an XTS and I have an old Big Red, so I'll let someone else chime in here as to settings. I have found that false bobbin breaks usually indicate flagging - when the fabric jumps up as the needle withdraws from the fabric. The machine backs up automatically after a bobbin break so you can start sewing again at a point before the break; since 99% of the bobbin breaks I've experienced are false ones, I find this feature unhelpful because, as you said, it pulls so hard on the thread which is in fact not broken. Make sure your backing is drum tight in the hoop; I usually have the foot all the way down or one click up for satin; make sure your needle is sharp and free of burrs and that the eye is facing no more than 5 degrees to the right. I have noticed that false bobbin breaks occur more on walk stitches, so if I'm sure everything is OK, I'll make sure my bobbin is plenty full and turn off the bobbin detection for this part of the embroidery. Do you know how to check your bobbin tension? How long are the stitches in your walk underlay; the longer the stitch, the more likely you'll get false bobbin breaks. You should be able to embroider with this combination of fabric and thread at 1000spm with no problem.

Comment

Also you should not be running @ 900 sts per min. you should be up at 1250 + the Amaya is designed to run at the higher speeds.
        with poly neon you should have no problem.
        you may want to increase your material thickness a bit but if your running on auto it should not be necessary...
        [email protected]
        Jerome in Minnesota
        (320)259-1151

Comment

well the speed of your machine doesn't really matter, I run mine at 1200 sometimes but the major part i run it at 800spm.
          a couple of things I do to keep this from happening is simple maintenance.

* make sure that the bobbing case, rotary hook and trimmer are clean and lubricated.
          * make sure that your pressure foot is set to the right height for the fabric being used.
          * make sure that the tension on the bobbing case is set properly .
          * And consider the possibility that it might just be the needle going bad or the angle of the needle.

Comment

Originally posted by ButterXTS27 View Post
            well the speed of your machine doesn't really matter, I run mine at 1200 sometimes but the major part i run it at 800spm.
            a couple of things I do to keep this from happening is simple maintenance.

* make sure that the bobbing case, rotary hook and trimmer are clean and lubricated.
            * make sure that your pressure foot is set to the right height for the fabric being used.
            * make sure that the tension on the bobbing case is set properly .
            * And consider the possibility that it might just be the needle going bad or the angle of the needle.
            I'll also chime in here - the ONLY -- repeat ONLY time we run at 800-900 spm is doing caps. That's pretty much it.

Good digitizing and proper maintenence should allow you to run the machine easily at 1100-1200 spm without problems. We do it all day long - every day on our 3 machines.
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Working...
            X