Maintenance (the 4,000,000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance (the 4,000,000)

I'd like the opinion of a tech or two on this.

I hit the 4,000,000 stitch maintenance. I ordered a new set of red and yellow wheels and the little covers. Cost a bunch but what the heck.

I removed the front cover and took off all the red and yellow wheels and the covers. Then I cleaned out all the old grease from the machine. I then put a dab of new grease in between the three plastic pieces near the center of the red wheels (in all the red wheels and lines them up). I put a dab of grease on both sides of where the yellow wheel goes in - not on the brass center of the wheel itself, but on the plastic where it will snap into. I snapped all the yellow wheels into place and put the cover on. Then snapped all the red wheels in place, wiped off the excess grease that squeezes out the holes on the right, realigned the threads and closed the red wheel down. That took about one hour. Actually cleaning all the old grease off is what took all the time. With the front off, I had absolutely no trouble with the #1 position wheels. I highly recommend taking off the front cover!

I had already made myself a little tool to help snap out the yellow wheels. It is just an 1/8" (probably) brass strapping that I bent a 1/8" leg at one end. I just stick that down the side of the wheel and it hooks it just enough to pull the wheel out. Simple and fast.

I have since cleaned all the old red wheels. I put them in a baggie all together as a set. They are still good, so I'll use them next time. The yellow wheels still need to be cleaned, but they also look all right.

If I remember correctly, it took me 4 hours the last time I did this. And I actually had to have my husband help a little. It was not pleasant to have to struggle so hard. This time, with the new set of wheels and with the front off, it went so much faster. And I didn't have to struggle with a single thing.

So, what do you think of this slightly, but significantly, different way of doing this maintenance?

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Juli -

I say Bravo. sounds like you found a great way to save a lot of tedious time. Rotating the wheels also gives you more time to inspect and clean them.

Way to go!!

Tom
    Tom Dauria<br />Mr. Sew & Sew

Comment

Julie,

Thats the way I do it all the time. I have to do a 4,000,000 about once a week on one or two machines So I just bought a couple of extra sets of rollers and have them clean and ready. You will really like the new version of software when it comes to the 4,000,000 stitch maint.

Steve I.
      Trinity Embroidery
      Steve I.<br />Trinity Emb

Comment

Does anyone have a fast way to clean the old grease off the feed and pinch rollers?
        I'm using a q-tip (many q-tips) to do this. It takes so much time, it's seems like it would be cost effective to just throw the lot out every time and replace with a new supply. Unless there's a magic solution to put them in to remove the grease.
        Any help would be appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Mary
        Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Mary, I pop them all out, clean them with a papertowel, and, if necessary, wash them in hot soap and water (do not use alcohol), rinse and dry them, re-grease and re-install.
          Sharon
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Red roller don't cost very much. I bought a complete new set. I take out the old set and put in the new set. I clean the old one later. Cut my maintenance time from 4 hrs to 1.5 hrs.

Juli in Kona
            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Hi Sharon,
              Why not use alcohol? It really relaxes me.
              Oh, you mean on the rollers!
              Seriously, I have tried hot soapy water and it doesn't even begin to dissolve the polymer grease. All I can figure to do is to wipe it off with a q-tip or a toothpick. The grease isn't on the yellow surfaces, just in the hubs, so I can't store them for the next use unless I get them clean enough to put in a bag together. I see more posts on the subject coming in. Thanks to everyone for all your advice.
              Mary

Comment

Well Mary, I was going to say, "Don't use alcohol--unless you drink it!" (But decided not to Anyway, I always wipe all the excess grease off with a papertowel first, then use really hot water and dish detergent and a good toothbrush. It has always gotten them clean for me.
                Sharon
                Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Toothbrush! I thought of that earlier, but forgot. (Must be the alcohol you told me not to use.) Actually the only one I have right now is the one I'm using. Since that didn't sound too appetizing, I passed on the toothbrush idea for now. I'll pick one up at the store this weekend.

Thanks for the laugh... and the advice.
                  Mary

Comment

That's how I do it too. As I'm taking them out I drop them in a bowl containing hot water Dawn dish detergent. I have a second set of rollers which I replace during maintenance. After all is said and done, I take a toothbrush and scrub them (or bribe my son to do so). Then I place them in a Tupperware basket-type thing and throw them in the dishwasher but don't do the hi-heat drying cycle. Once done, I dump them into a towel and roll them around in that to dry, and then air dry the remaining moisture. Once that's done, I store them in a bowl that is lined with paper towels in case there is any moisture I missed. Works great and you can determine if there are any rollers that need replacing. Saves a bunch of time as well.

Geri

Comment

Mary,
                      You're Funny! (Alcohol relaxes you)

Guys,
                      The red rollers are cheap enough to simply just replace with new ones. Remember that if you are going to remove the red roller #1, I recommend you pull back the plastic needle case cover to access this roller. That high wall on the right hand side of pinch roller #1 is in the way of removing it.
                      This can be easy if you follow my steps.
                      1) take a long thin item like a pencil or tweezers and knock all of the thread tail out of the grabber trap from BEHIND the needles.
                      2)Lift all of the red pinch rollers to their up position.
                      3)Grab all 16 of the little dangling tails of thread and pull out about an arms length of thread and tie the END of all of these threads in a knot.
                      4)Easily remove the needle case front access cover that is held in place by two magnets. This has the name "Amaya" stamped on it.
                      5)Under this cover there is a 2.5mm allen screw on each side. Remove these screws.
                      6) Gently lift up and then pull back the plastic front cover so that you can remove the red roller #1 out from the side, behind the pulled forward needle case cover. Reinstall a new red roller (or gummi green roller).
                      7)As you reseat the needlecase cover, gently pull on your pony tail knot of thread hanging from the front of the machine so as not to tangle the thread in and around the needlecase cover.
                      8)Reinsert the two screws and replace the magnetic cover while easily moving threads aside.
                      9)When you are finished with all your maintenance needs, making sure your red rollers are in their DOWN position, activate the grabber and then cut off the excess thread hanging from the front of the machine. Be sure not to cut these threads too short or leave them too long for obvious reasons.

All this can be accomplished in just a few minutes when you are familiar with these steps. If you attempt to remove the needlecase cover without increasing the length of your thread, you will have to rethread a bunch of needles after the fact.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Ed
                      -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Yes, I was happy the whole time I was cleaning those parts last night after Sharon gave me the OK!

Thanks for the tips. I hope I can remember the process the next time so I can avoid rethreading.

Mary

Comment

Working...
                        X