frame arm thumb screws???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame arm thumb screws???

has anyone found a better solution than these cheap screws holding the frame arms on?
    I have broken two now and the shipping on these 4.00 screws are almost 15.00

Lurkin,

If you are breaking them , you are just tightening them to much. I use them on all of our machines and have not broken one in 3 or 4 years.

When I train folks I tell them to finger tighen first and the use the allen wrench to just "snug" them up about a quarter turn...if that... The allen wrench is like a crowbar in relation to the screw shank and you can put a tremendous amount of leverage on the screw while tightening it. Be gentle ...approx. 1/4 turn after finger tightening and no more!

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Or you can go to Home Depot with an extra screw and get a new one. Maybe not just exactly like the old one, but just make sure the threads are the same.
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

I have busted about 4-5 in all the years we have owned the machines. Most of those were the old brass type which were softer than the current metal.

I have recently taken to Rods method, tighten by hand, 1/4 turn if that more with wrench. So far, so good. Really haven't found a good replacement that secures things the way the originals do...
        John Yaglenski
        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Actually those screws are saving you. The screws are designed to break as it prevents you from stripping the threads on the X carriage frame. Cheaper to get the screws than to have a tech out to replace the X carriage or tap new threads in it (if it can be done).

There are threaded inserts in the X carriage so it will need to be replaced if the threads were ever stripped.

As stated it only needs to be snug.

Inobu
          Last edited by inobu; 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I accidentally tightened the screw a little too much and have my very first broken screw in 9 years. How do I remove the screw that's broken?

Comment

The easiest way to remove a screw is with a power drill and a screw extractor. If that doesn't work for you, here is a link that shows six other ways to do it, none of which look very easy:
              tutorial that show seven techniques to extract a broken screw

Comment

Working...
              X