Quantcast frame arm thumb screws???

news

discussion boards mailing list tips / tricks / forms designs suppliers find a shop marketplace
News
  archives

Discussion
  main menu

Suppliers
  apparel

hats

thread
  backing
  hoops / hooping
  stock designs

Tips & Tricks
  main menu

Mailing List

my account

Amaya Shops
  locate a shop

Marketplace
  shop for supplies

Resources
  official Melco site
  online resources

Help Support This Site:

Post Thanks / Like

frame arm thumb screws???

has anyone found a better solution than these cheap screws holding the frame arms on?
    I have broken two now and the shipping on these 4.00 screws are almost 15.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Lurkin,

If you are breaking them , you are just tightening them to much. I use them on all of our machines and have not broken one in 3 or 4 years.

When I train folks I tell them to finger tighen first and the use the allen wrench to just "snug" them up about a quarter turn...if that... The allen wrench is like a crowbar in relation to the screw shank and you can put a tremendous amount of leverage on the screw while tightening it. Be gentle ...approx. 1/4 turn after finger tightening and no more!

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can go to Home Depot with an extra screw and get a new one. Maybe not just exactly like the old one, but just make sure the threads are the same.
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Post Thanks / Like
    I have busted about 4-5 in all the years we have owned the machines. Most of those were the old brass type which were softer than the current metal.

I have recently taken to Rods method, tighten by hand, 1/4 turn if that more with wrench. So far, so good. Really haven't found a good replacement that secures things the way the originals do...
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
    Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website!
    http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually those screws are saving you. The screws are designed to break as it prevents you from stripping the threads on the X carriage frame. Cheaper to get the screws than to have a tech out to replace the X carriage or tap new threads in it (if it can be done).

There are threaded inserts in the X carriage so it will need to be replaced if the threads were ever stripped.

As stated it only needs to be snug.

Inobu
    Last edited by inobu; 01-04-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I accidentally tightened the screw a little too much and have my very first broken screw in 9 years. How do I remove the screw that's broken?

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest way to remove a screw is with a power drill and a screw extractor. If that doesn't work for you, here is a link that shows six other ways to do it, none of which look very easy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjhs-0kFl8