New Era Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Era Hats

Anyone else having trouble with New Era hats. I am sewing on a Big Red have tried everything, needle size, depth , speed, will not sew over the middle seam. Frustrated.

what do you have your "auto lower limit" set at?

what machine do you have?
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Its a Big Red.. auto lower limit is at 6. Put a regular Flex fit hat on there and it sewed like a charm.
      For some reason it does not like the New Era hats wont sew over that middle seam just breaks needles. I tried with two and even three clicks on the back of the machine...still broke.

Comment

Try possibly going up to an 8 or even 9 on the lower limit and/or using an 80/12 needle....what speed are you running the Red at?

Are you using the raised needle plate on your Big Red? Are you using the 270 degree full cirle cap frames or the older Melco frontal only cap frames?

Comment

I slowed it down to 500 ....even 300 still broke ...not using the 270 just the older conventional type.
          I did try the 80/12 needle but not the raised needle plate. Never had any luck with those. I
          will try it with these though thanks

Comment

I was just curious if you were still using the raised needle plate. Lots of folks are not and that is ok...just remember if you do go back to it, you will need to raise the presserfoot all the way up and then take it back down a couple of clicks. It may be that this style cap needs the raised needle plate to kind of take the loft out of the center seam of the cap. But, normally when I sew caps on our Big Red "without" the raised needle plate being used, I will have the presserfoot all the way down.

How tall is this design and how close to the bill is it sewing?

Have you checked the hook timing lately?

Poly thread?

This same design was sewn on the Flex Fit and it sewed ok?

Rod Springer
            Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

Also, it may be necessary to try the 270 frame and backing about 11 inches long and the hoop the cap as tightly as you can....the trick with these sis to control the amount of loft between the center seam and the sewing arm. If flagging is allowed to take place, I would expect needle breakage to take place.

One more thing to check......look closely at the space between the back side of the needle and the front side of the presser foot. If the space is too close, what might be taking place is with the stiff center seam in these caps, on the down stroke of the needle the presser foot may be sliding down the slope of the center seam and being forced up against the back side of the needle. It will break the needle every single time if this takes place. To adjust the space, just take a flat blade screw driver and carefully push against the bottom of the foot bending it slightly to the rear. About 3/16 gap is what you are looking for. If it gets bent back too far the presser foot shaft will rub against the grabber trap and make a tick-a, tick-a, tick-a type of noise. This may be you problem in a nut shell....educated guess....

Comment

One tip that helps me is to either put the cap on a hat press for a couple of seconds before hooping to heat the surface or just after hooping rubbing your hand over the front seam to heat it up....it helps relax the fabric.

Some caps I've had to double my backing to keep thread from breaking.

Good luck.

Dorothy
                Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Yes it sewed beautiful on a Flexfit. The design has small letter on top and bottom (arched) That is where
                  it is really messing up on New Era when it gets to the middle seam. Did put the raised needle plate on for this design and it sewed the body of the logo and lettering without breaking needles but the lettering
                  still looks rough at the seam. I am ordering more Flexfit for this order. Thanks!

Comment

I second your concern. I've been breaking needles on this NEW ERA 39 hats like they are bullet proof. I had a customer that wanted six of these for his employees, and 400 cheap promo hats for giveways. I ended up breaking 4 needles in 6 hats.... 0 needles on the 400.

Comment

Working...
                    X