Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horriable time sewing hats, constant needle breaks, HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horriable time sewing hats, constant needle breaks, HELP!!

I have been trying to sew on some base ball caps and have constant needle breaks. This is the first time I have tried sewing hats on my new machine. The design sewed out perfect as a flat. I worked at a place before my kids were born and that's what I did was embroider hats. So this very frustrating for me, we bought this machine so we could do hats and I cant make it work. The design is only 2 colors and mainly just lettering. Any suggestions anyone??? Im ready to give up. My hat frame is the Red CCF. I am using titanium 75/11 needles even tried 80/12. I have tried 1 piece of backing and 2 pieces.

Is presser foot up 2 clicks from the bottom and did you adjusr the thread feed at 6-8 with lower limut at 3?
    Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

Yes that's correct make sure settings are just like that

Originally posted by Wishes View Post
      Is presser foot up 2 clicks from the bottom and did you adjusr the thread feed at 6-8 with lower limut at 3?

Comment

Needle breaks can be caused by poorly hooped caps. The cap is moving and causing the needle to impact the needle plate. Even with the CCF you cannot just put the cap in, close the clamp and go to town. The cap needs to be forced down so there is little to no gap between cap and needle plate. This is best done by rubbing the front causing the buckram to take the form of the hooping gauge.
        I cannot stress enough. If it is not hooped correctly it will not sew.
        Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

I been having the same problem with needle breaks. I broke 4 needles doing a one color logo, I thought it was the hat I was using so I ordered some yupoong hats and I hope that is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by HERB View Post
            Needle breaks can be caused by poorly hooped caps. The cap is moving and causing the needle to impact the needle plate. Even with the CCF you cannot just put the cap in, close the clamp and go to town. The cap needs to be forced down so there is little to no gap between cap and needle plate. This is best done by rubbing the front causing the buckram to take the form of the hooping gauge.
            I cannot stress enough. If it is not hooped correctly it will not sew.
            Read and re-read this - while certain caps can be difficult to hoop and therefore more prone to needle breaks because of that, the bottom line is hooping the hat correctly and getting the front to take the form of the hooping gauge is the best way to avoid problems... Herb is the expert. Watch his video here on the site.
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
            Hilton Head Island, SC
            http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

So it's just the hooping of the hat not the thickness of the front panel "buckram" I want to start doing embroidery on yupoong hats and want to know what's the material thickness settings?

Comment

I totally agree with Herb. Hooping technique is important. When hat jobs give me problems I would make these adjustments one by one in this order:
                1. Double check that my hooping is good. I make sure the inside seam is sitting inside the groove on the hat hoop. Then I make sure the hoop is adjusted tight (not over-tight) so the hat has less chance of moving. I also "push" the sides away from me to angle the front of the hat down towards the needle plate. I would also add what Herb said about "rubbing the front causing the buckram to take the form of the hooping gauge."
                2. Slow the machines down to 850spm
                3. Add backing (I don't use backing on all hats)
                4. Change the needles to 80/12 (provided there isn't small letters)
                5. Check if there's any digitizing adjustments that can be done that may resolve the problem. Sometimes changing the stitch order makes all the difference (when possible).
                I hope this helps on your next hat order.
                Out of curiosity, what machine model are you running? XT, XTS, EMT-16?

Comment

Working...
                X