Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vector > Digitizing not what I expected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector > Digitizing not what I expected.

Hi all, just got my hands on Design Shop Pro+. I should preface this by saying I have zero experience with digitizing -- I usually outsource my designs. I also understand that this wont fully replace digitizers. That being said, I've opened up some vectorized logos, converted them to embroidery, and it just looks very sloppy. Is there a guide/tutorial out there that goes in depth with this? Really looking forward to playing around with the software and my new Bravo machine, but all of this is kinda overwhelming!

A good place to start is to look at a well digitized design. Watch it stitch out. There are some youtube videos but I don't know how good they are. You can also take classes at some of the trade shows. There are some books out there but not design shop specific (Digitizing 101 by Thomas Moore, etc.).

Personally, I decided not to digitize except for the absolute simplist of designs (think box or grabbing bits from other designs). I think it takes quite a bit of time and stitchouts to learn and I've focused on selling. Good luck and have fun playing.
    Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Vector files are often "what you see is NOT what you get". I get vector files from customers that are a mess but look just fine on the screen. I think that is because they learn to correct a shape by adding another shape to it - actually on top of it. So now the leaf that looks just fine on the screen, when you looks at it in wireframe (you only see lines, all the lines), you see many more objects than you thought were there.

Pathing is very important! Pathing is the art of sewing out all of one color without trims. Sometimes this is impossible, but it is the goal. The first thing is to reduce the number of colors. This doesn't apply to logos where you need to follow the design exactly. But say you are digitizing a leaf. The picture you are following has 3 or more shades of green. You can use only one color of green and by changing the angle of the stitches you can get a reasonable looking leaf. Anyway, it takes awhile to learn this stuff. I suggest you start by digitizing a simple design. Do not use the AUTO digitizing feature, but do it by hand, one click at a time; the fewer the nodes, the smoother the shape. It is the only way to get a good design.
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
      X