This is so weird but I have a clunking in my XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is so weird but I have a clunking in my XT

I have a 10 yr old XT that has developed a clunking noise intermittently while sewing. It happens on any needle, does not impede the sewing, no thread or needle breaks. I can't see anything when I watch it sew. It does not produce burrs on the needle, so I am ruling out hook timing. I have lubericated the needled bars, hook, etc. This just started a couple of weeks ago. When listening to it, I can not detect where the noise is coming from.

Any ideas. I know I squeak and clunk a little more now that I am older, but my other machine is the same age, same usage, but no clunking.

Want to fix it before something worse happens.

Cindy from Phoenix

Originally posted by Impressive Threads View Post
    I have a 10 yr old XT that has developed a clunking noise intermittently while sewing. It happens on any needle, does not impede the sewing, no thread or needle breaks. I can't see anything when I watch it sew. It does not produce burrs on the needle, so I am ruling out hook timing. I have lubericated the needled bars, hook, etc. This just started a couple of weeks ago. When listening to it, I can not detect where the noise is coming from.

Any ideas. I know I squeak and clunk a little more now that I am older, but my other machine is the same age, same usage, but no clunking.

Want to fix it before something worse happens.

Cindy from Phoenix
    I'm sure Ron will chime in here. Trying to think off the top of my head what might make an occasional clunking rather than a whining or a rattling noise.

Could the cam or cam follower be worn? Presser foot cam or some internal part just slightly loose? Honestly just grasping at straws without hearing it or where it might be coming from. No doubt you'll probably have an answer on what to check shortly from our helpful community!
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

This kind of leaves the field wide open. It may be something simple or it may be much more serious in nature. I'll list a few of the possibilities:

Broken presser foot spring

Presser foot out of adjustment

The connecting rod from the cam disk to the reciprocator may have worn a bearing and is causing "rod knock"

X axis cable tension out of adjustment

X carriage rails and X carriage roller bearings binding from lack of lubrication

There are lots of possibilities here....it may be time for one of those dreaded tech calls....

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Working...
      X