Ballpoint vs sharp on polo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballpoint vs sharp on polo's

Is it best to use ballpoint on polo's? I usually use 65/9 sharp (on cotton and poly) but I've noticed tiny holes around some of the lettering when I'm done sewing, will ball point stop that?

Thanks

A sharp needle will damage the threads; a ball point will push them out of the way. I would definitely switch to a ball point. I use ball points for everything EXCEPT cap sewing.

Comment

so the ball points would do well on poly cotton fabrics also? I own a scrub store and I mainly do scrubs, lab coats and polo's.

Comment

They do great. I do a lot of denim. Works like a charm.

Comment

What about going thru multiple layers of embroidery?

Comment

In general, the rule is sharps for wovens, ballpoints for knits. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it; so if something else has been working for you...

Comment

Is there a specific reason that you are using "65/9" needles? The standard size that most folks are using is the 75/11. Some prefer a 70/10 . Usually the 65/9, being a much smaller ( in diameter ) needle is used for very small column ( lettering ) or detail work and also dropping to a 60 weight thread instead of the standard 40 weight. A lot of folks do not know what the needle sizing refers to...for those that don't know...the first numbers like 80,75,70,65, etc refer to the American diameter of the needle in thousands, .075, .070, etc. The second number is just the European version of the different size needles. so .075 is American, number 11 is the same needle in European use.

Rod Springer
              Amaya Tech & Trainer
              Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

No real reason actually. I just thought smaller needle, smaller hole. I own a big red and I have been following this site for about 5 years and I finally joined in. So for scrubs, labcoats and polo's would you use an organ needle 75/11 titanium ballpoint? I have to admit I just sewed a scrub top with a logo and ended up having to take it out because of choosing wrong needle for color and the fabric looked so much better when I took it all out than when I was using sharp needle.

Comment

I always depend on the responses that Rod or Sharon give back and I have learned so much just by seeing what everyone else goes thru and reading all the posts with suggestions.

Comment

Mamma Kass is pretty much on the mark, Sharps for wovens, Ball Points for knits. But here is a link to some pretty detailed information for needles from Gross-Beckert which is what Maderia is supplying for the Melco machines.

Rod Springer
                    Amaya Tech & Trainer
                    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I use strictly Madeira thread, polyneon 40 and I have some spools that run looser than others, is there any way to control that besides using the acti feed settings? I use standard on the acti feed and somethimes it doesn't matter if I put the number to 1, the thread is still bouncing wildly.

Comment

Originally posted by sgorham View Post
                        I use strictly Madeira thread, polyneon 40 and I have some spools that run looser than others, is there any way to control that besides using the acti feed settings? I use standard on the acti feed and somethimes it doesn't matter if I put the number to 1, the thread is still bouncing wildly.

The thread is supposed to bounce - how is the SEW QUALITY?

When you say you put the number to one, you mean the minimum? Or are you actually not using actifeed and letting the machine decide how much thread to advance and instead have it on standard feeding a set amount?

Spools being looser shouldn't matter as the machine is pulling the thread thru...

Check your bobbin tension as well and make sure it's proper.
                        John Yaglenski
                        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

The bounce of the thread is large loops, the sewing quality seems to be fine. I am using standard acti-feed because when I use auto it doesn't seem to change anything so I stopped using auto. so each fabric change, which is through out the day, I lower or raise presser foot and then set actifeed number. I will use settings by number if I have a design with a fill area and lettering.

Comment

Working...
                          X