X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat logo

Any suggestions or help on how to make this work on a hat
    Attached Files

Have you done many hats before? There are a few rules of thumb I always follow:
    If you can, don't make the design any taller than 2". If you're doing a high-profile hat, you can sometimes get away with 2.25", but that usually maxes it out.
    Hats require a design to be sewn from the bottom-up, center-out. This is hard one for that rule! I sew a similar design, though, so I would recommend that you start with the "Hardwoods etc." line of text and make it sew to the right, starting from woods (in Hardwoods), then return to sew draH (in Hard). Do BAILEY next, using the A as your center-out starting point. Then try going to the bottom right of the pillar and sew the rest from there.
    Also, I would definitely sew everything except BAILEY in 60-weight thread. It'll make all the fine lines and small text show up much better than 40-weight. And make sure you're using sharp needles.

Comment

Thanks. Do you think the small lines should be walk or bean etc.? I've done a couple dozen hats before but never the fine lines like this.

Comment

That's a tough call. If you can, I'd try a sample in both walk and bean stitches and see which looks better.

Comment

Well here's what I have using walkstitch.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think that line work looks pretty good. BAILEY looks light, though. Do you have an underbase there? If not, I would try just a center walk underbase. I would also increase your column width by 1 or 2 points (in the Scale menu) so that this important title stands out from the rest of the design.
            Also, if you move "Hardwoods etc." down a little, it will make the design feel more balanced without such a huge negative space at the bottom. Try making the gap between the tops of the capital letters and the horizontal line above the same as the gap between the horizontal line and BAILEY.
            I'd love to see another sew-out if you alter any of the above.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I would move the design over toward the cap's right a bit. I realize you have it on the actual center, but their logo was designed for stationary etc. and on the cap it looks off center because the column capital sticks out so far on the right. Also, I would assume that BAILEY is the most important word and it is visually hanging out over the left side. Can you afford the time and cap to try it?

Comment

I agree with Mama Kass I would center on the I or between the I & L in Bailey.
                It would look much better.. JMHO
                [email protected]
                Jerome in Minnesota
                (320)259-1151

Comment

Working...
                X