Needle case not moving correctly after maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle case not moving correctly after maintenance

I recently had to do maintenance and had to remove the left cover behind the needle case. I know to be extrememly careful not to pinch any wires when putting it back together but now I have a problem with the needle case moving. The machine (an old Big Red) will center on needle 9 when turned on but once you try to move past needle 12 the needle case will only move half the distance it is supposed to. Then all the needles of misaligned until you reset the machine. I am sewing a 14 color design that I have to get done and need all my needles. Can anyone help?

Were you very careful when putting the black cover back on and tighten the screws just enough that they are still slightly loose but the screws are in deep enough so they are flush with the plastic? After that, you move the needlecase so it can line it up so the needlebar studs can slide across evenly without getting hung up. THEN FINISH TIGHTENING THE SCREWS. If not, you risk the studs getting caught up and it could jam the needlecase or cut through the plastic and the cover will need replaced.
    Sharon Springer (I hope this was understandable!)
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Originally posted by Rod or Sharon View Post
      Were you very careful when putting the black cover back on and tighten the screws just enough that they are still slightly loose but the screws are in deep enough so they are flush with the plastic? After that, you move the needlecase so it can line it up so the needlebar studs can slide across evenly without getting hung up. THEN FINISH TIGHTENING THE SCREWS. If not, you risk the studs getting caught up and it could jam the needlecase or cut through the plastic and the cover will need replaced.
      Sharon Springer (I hope this was understandable!)
      Sharon,

Not really sure I understand. Just to see what was binding I took the cover off and it is still binding. Is that my problem, that the cover is still off?

Comment

UNDER NO circumstances do you move or allow the needlecase to move with either the right or left side black covers off!!! If you do the needlebar studs wil not have any thing to hold them up and they will drop. The tracking groove in the covers are storage grooves for the needle bar studs on the needles not being used.

When re-installing the covers, they MUST be put back on so that the storage grooves are in a parallel plane, otherwise as the needlecase moves left or right the studs can get hung up in the center and not slide into the opposing tracking groove.

This is done by what Sharon was saying.....put the cover on, leaving the screws slightly loose so that the cover can wiggle. Then move the needlecase over just so the outer most screws are still exposed, tighten them, then move the needlecase to either the # 1 or # 16 needle, depending on which cover you have off and tighten the rest of the screws.

But, if you have moved the needle case with one of the covers off, you now have a far bigger problem if one or more of the needlebars have dropped.

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Last edited by Rod or Sharon; 04-14-2017, 12:44 AM.
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Working...
        X