incremental update for a dinosaur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incremental update for a dinosaur

As some of you know, we are a self-supporting Orthodox convent without a lot of $$, but are in serious need of updating our hardware and software. I often see good deals being offered for both on this site, but know that not all software works with all hardware and so I am hesitant. First, here is a list of what we now use:
    2004 Big Red Amaya that Rod tells me is in good shape and had some updating done to it before it was sold to us as a demo model.
    2002 Dell computer listed on my Properties tab as an ACPI Uniprocessor with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 220GHz
    Windows XP, Home Edition, V. 2002
    DS Pro+ V.4.02.041
    OS V.4.02.041

OK, have you stopped laughing? Our plan is to try to update piecemeal, beginning with the computer.

What would be the most recent computer that we could try to find that would allow us to still use the Big Red and the Microsoft and Melco software that we have?
    If we did manage to get such a computer, what then would be the highest level of Windows, DS, and OS that we could later install on it? and what updated machine would it support?

I am not computer literate, but I have access to those who are very much so; feel free to geek away with your answer. Thank you to anyone who can take the time to answer this rather lengthy missive.

I have received no responses to this posting. Do I need to provide other information or is the issue more complicated than I had supposed it to be?

Comment

I would suggest that you start by looking for a computer that still has XP on it. My Amaya does not seem to load my Design Shop v9 onto any computer with a later OS. I found my last XP computer online, refurbished, and it loaded just fine, no problems.
      I cannot answer what the latest version of Design Shop that would work, perhaps another can provide that info.
      Good luck!!

Comment

Thank you, Calm 1.

Comment

Computer with XP

I have an XP computer. It originally ran my Big Red, then my XT until I upgraded software. It even has -- gasp! -- a 3'5" floppy disk port, in addition to CD. It's an HP small tower, and ran great when I stopped using it.

Comment

Working...
          X