Newbie with Old Amaya Machine - Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with Old Amaya Machine - Getting Started

Hello... my first post... a little background...

I'm new to embroidery, but I've been doing vinyl decals for a couple years and would like to add embroidered patches and similar items to my catalog. I am somewhat of an amateur graphics designer and used to build computers back in the 90's, so I'm confident I can handle the hardware and software part of making patches. I obviously could really benefit from the help of others, like members of this forum, to mentor me while trying to figure this out.

So with that being said, I bought a used Amaya (big red?) with the accessories. It has the V9 software suite, two dongles and a Melco code (also came with a couple V5 CDs and other software I assume originally shipped with it, but not sure if that is helpful since I have the V9 software).

It did not come with a PC, so currently I'm trying to piece together a computer for it. I'm getting one according to the specs for the V9 software suite... but does anyone have any general advice for computer selection? I was going to target Windows Vista 32 bit unless someone has any other suggestions. I know I could use XP, but since Vista was newer, I'd figure it would be better.... or should I just upgrade to V10 and use a more modern PC? Is that expensive?

Any way, I'll stop there. I just really wanted to get the word out in this forum that I'll be looking for help along the way as I try to get this machine operational.

Thanks! Ray
    Melco Amaya Big Red
    Amaya OS V10
    Design Shop V10

I am running V9 software on a Windows 7 system, which is still available on line. V5 software will work with an XP computer -- I used V5 on my XP and still have it in storage somewhere. V9 on an Windows 7 runs well for me.

Comment

OK, That's great... I'd much rather use Windows 7... but it still has to be 32-bit, right?
      Melco Amaya Big Red
      Amaya OS V10
      Design Shop V10

Comment

I just checked the properties on my system, and it is 64 bit. I think there is a way to change to 32 if you need to, but I'll be hanged if I remember A) if you need to and B) how to do it.

Comment

Got it! Thanks... I dug into the Melco website and found a document that stated earlier versions of V9 could not run in straight 64-bit, but it had to be in compatibility mode (I think what you were referring to when you said turn 64 bit it off), but later versions could. I think I'm going to get a Windows 7 32-bit PC just to be safe. Seems like unless you have more than 4 GB of ram it's not going to make a huge difference.
          Melco Amaya Big Red
          Amaya OS V10
          Design Shop V10

Comment

So you know for the future, a Big Red is how we refer to the old machines that had red plastic covers over the area at the back of the machine. I love my trusty old machine - a 2004 for those who say these machines don't last; you just have to take good care of them.

Comment

Thanks.... that is good to hear. Mine is a 2003. I'm pretty sure the place I got it from had regular maintenance on it. They just got a newer model for the newer features. I can't justify a new machine yet, so this is something to cut my teeth with for the next two years or so while I evaluate how it fits in my business plan.
              Melco Amaya Big Red
              Amaya OS V10
              Design Shop V10

Comment

Working...
              X