Spool Positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spool Positions

Hi! I'm slowly working my way to getting my Big Red up and running but I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb about what colors to put in what location. From my decal experience Black, White and Red will be my most used colors... then Blue, Yellow and Green. Should I put the most used threads in the middle needles to increase movement efficiency or does it not really matter?

I haven't gotten to play with the software very much yet, but I assume you can assign colors to different needles and change them quite easily.

I have about 20 colors so I'm going to have to use a few needles for temporary colors that change based on the design, but I'll always have a core color pallet of 9 colors which probably don't have to move.

Thanks! Ray
    Last edited by GemCityBooks; 11-01-2018, 08:16 PM.
    Melco Amaya Big Red
    Amaya OS V10
    Design Shop V10

I always unthread and rethread. I watch the stitch count on my needle bars to keep them wearing evenly. On my older XT (2007 model), they are all within 50,000 stitches of each other.
    \

Comment

Do you know the quick and easy thread change method?

If you have blue thread on a spindle, and you want to change to white thread:

Cut the blue thread about 12 inches above the spindle top.

Put the white thread on the spindle.

Pull the blue thread out.

Spool about 20 inches of white thread off and let it hang (four or five wraps around the cone of thread).

Tie the blue thread AROUND the white thread. Don't knot the two of them together in an overhand knot.

Pull the knot on the blue thread tight.

Lift the feed roller.

Grab the blue thread at the back of the needle, and pull it through slowly and gently.

Watch your spindle above to be certain your thread doesn't tangle or stop pulling through.

Pull the thread all of the way through the thread path, and down and out through the eye of your needle.

Close the feed roller back into place.

After you have done all of the needles for a color change, close the grabber, and trim them to the right length (pulled forward about even with the facing-you edge of the grabber bar).

Sounds forever long, takes about ten seconds per needle.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think about using the same needle for a max-use color would cause wear on that part of the machine. I'll have to think about a plan for rotating colors.

I bought the machine with no spools on it, but they did leave enough thread in the machine to do what you suggested. I'm hoping to get it all threaded up in the next couple of weeks.
        Melco Amaya Big Red
        Amaya OS V10
        Design Shop V10

Comment

Judy, I learn something new all the time - I didn't know I could track my stitch count for each needle. Since this would be very helpful, where do I find this? I have an ancient Big Red with correspondingly ancient OS, can I do this?

Comment

Originally posted by GemCityBooks View Post
            Hi! I'm slowly working my way to getting my Big Red up and running but I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb about what colors to put in what location. From my decal experience Black, White and Red will be my most used colors... then Blue, Yellow and Green. Should I put the most used threads in the middle needles to increase movement efficiency or does it not really matter?

I haven't gotten to play with the software very much yet, but I assume you can assign colors to different needles and change them quite easily.

I have about 20 colors so I'm going to have to use a few needles for temporary colors that change based on the design, but I'll always have a core color pallet of 9 colors which probably don't have to move.

Thanks! Ray
            I wouldn't be super concerned about rotating colors. It will happen naturally if you do much work.

I kind of have to admit I giggled a bit about the 20 colors. We have a multiple full color sets from Madeira... which is about a couple hundred colors (plus we have 2 complete ARC thread sets as well). Likely you'll find the more you get into this - that customers want the color they want. There may be pantone near matches that are necessary or even required. We have 4 amayas and the colors are always coming on and going off.

The colors I'd rotate are black and white. Move them around every 3-6 months.
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Good morning. I have V9. I find it in OS under Tools, Timers (where all of the maintenance timers are for hooks, etc). There is a button at the bottom that says Feed Rollers. I click on that. I don't know if it is in your version. I can't remember when I first saw it, but I know I didn't originally see it.

Comment

Yes, when I put 20 colors I figured someone would get a chuckle. lol I've seen those huge spool packages for sale.

To start out I'm just going to make patches and Key FOBs similar in design as my current vinyl decal catalog. I'm not going to be ready for any real custom work for a couple years. I'm just trying to apply what I know from the decals and transfer it to embroidery. I have no intentions of starting a shop, but only to feed our booth at pop culture events. The fewer colors the more simple it is for me... and right now, I need simple.

Maybe someday I'll branch out and need a gabillion colors.
                Melco Amaya Big Red
                Amaya OS V10
                Design Shop V10

Comment

Working...
                X