Quantcast Hoop Tech vs. Melco Setup

news

discussion boards mailing list tips / tricks / forms designs suppliers find a shop marketplace
News
  archives

Discussion
  main menu

Suppliers
  apparel

hats

thread
  backing
  hoops / hooping
  stock designs

Tips & Tricks
  main menu

Mailing List

my account

Amaya Shops
  locate a shop

Marketplace
  shop for supplies

Resources
  official Melco site
  online resources

Help Support This Site:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoop Tech vs. Melco Setup

Hello everyone. The saga of my old Big Red continues.

It came with the old version of the cap driver, and no gauge. So I'm trying to decide what to do - I can keep the old cap driver and (hopefully) use it with a new Hoop Tech Gen 2 frame - cost is about $750. Or... I can spring for a whole new Melco red cap driver (which comes with 2 frames) and I'd need to purchase the Melco cap gauge separately - total cost would be about $1300. I'm checking to see if anybody has experience with both setups and if there are advantages of going one way or the other. Thanks!

https://www.kenssewingcenter.com/hoo...ming-gage.html
    https://www.kenssewingcenter.com/hoo...cap-frame.html

http://www.shopmelco.com/product_p/34259.htm
    http://www.shopmelco.com/product_p/34031.htm
    Last edited by Luckynhguy; 10-04-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have recently sold my Amaya XT. I still have hooptech attachment and several frames. Would be glad to send you photo of what I have, will sell all for $350.
    I could not find my cap frame when selling the machine, but know it is here. I did find the long bar with the big screws part. I don't know which part is named which. I ended up having to purchase new cap attachment to sell with the machine, so old one is still here. Do you need both parts? I am going to be sorting out all the sewing room stuff this week, so should be able to find. When found will be very reasonably priced.
    Let me know if you are interested.
    By the way, I sold my XT cause now I am 76, have some medical stuff necessitating lower altitude (Tucson), and not taking it with me.
    I also have some Melco frames, lots of Organ brand needles, Tension gauge, lots of assorted Floriani backing and threads and about a zillion designs. All are for sale. I live in south central Colorado, about 36 miles north of New Mexico border.
    Jean Reid
    Have an extenive

Post Thanks / Like
    Question for Lucky Guy: Can a new cap driver (the red one) be used with an original Melco Amaya Big Red? I thought drivers were geared to the machines they were made for. Then again...my only up grade has been from a Big Red to an XT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean -- if you don't hear back from Lucky Guy, I am interested in your HoopTech gauge and frames, and the Organ needles. Lucky Guy first though.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky Guy not interested in other items. Only interchangability of drivers on Big Red

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Jean -- if you don't hear back from Lucky Guy, I am interested in your HoopTech gauge and frames, and the Organ needles. Lucky Guy first though.
    How do we contact each other re sale items? (Haven't done before)

Post Thanks / Like
    You can email me at onleejudy@aol.com. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean - I just sent you a private message. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judy - I'm not really sure. The only thing that leads me to believe they are compatible is that Melco isn't offering any other cap drivers other than the red one. If it wasn't compatible with older machines, I would think Melco would offer one that was. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what's what.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that using a cap driver that did not come set up for your machine is more complicated than just attaching it to the machine. I had a wide-angle cap driver that I was willing to practically give away in 2010; nobody wanted it, so I eventually threw it away. I remember that in order to find out about compatibility, the machine serial number was required. I also remember that some type of calibration was also required if the driver did not come with the machine. Here is a link to a thread where we talked about compatibility:

http://www.amayausers.com/discussion...driver+big+red

This link is to the Amaya Operator's Manual's. You can navigate from this page to "Installing or Removing the Wide Angle Cap Driver" or "Adjusting the Wide Angle Cap driver."

http://www.melco-service.com/docs/AM...yaOperator.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mama Kass!
    So the driver I currently have did in fact come with the machine. I also have a cap frame. What I do not have is the matching cap gauge. Melco no longer sells the cap gauge that goes with my old driver. So if I wanted to buy the new Melco gauge, Iíd also need the new red cap driver. And it seems like what you are saying is that the new red cap driver will not work with an oldBig Red Amaya machine. Again, Iím going to call Melco tomorrow and see exactly what my options are. But itís looking more and more like I will have to go with Hoop Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk