Cool effect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool effect.

Wanted to share something that turned out really cool. I am making up some artwork for resale in local Christian supply shops.

I took a black and white image of Christ smiling, and did a photo fill in DS. Converted it to wireframe and edited out all the points on the edges of the picture so only His profile showed stitches. (Pull compensation set to x:100%, y:155% seems to work really well with photo fill).

Then I put down a series of satin columns as a background, to lay the image on. I added "sunburst" rays common to this sort of image, as if a sun was behind the head. Christ image done in black thread. Stitched it onto white velvet, and framed it. Image produced is really stunning.

Now here is the cool part. Before I stitched it, I went to Walmart and bought a small spool of glow-in-the_dark thread (light yellow in light, soft green glow in dark) and used it for the satin columns background and rays. The effect in a darkened room is surreal! Very, very cool.

The small spool was meant for a standard sewing machine. I was able to use it by lifting the plastic thread guide tube a short way out of the metal cone tube. Popped the white plastic piece off the clear plastic tube, slipped the small spool over the clear tube, and replaced the white piece on the clear tube. Spool won't go over the metal tube so it sits up high on top of the metal tube. Ran entire spool without any problems. Made sure that the top part of spool was not the end they cut a "holding" slit into.

Just wanted to share. Anyone know where to find standard size cones of glow thread?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

If you are not able to find standard size ones of glow thread, you may want to try using a spool thread holder for your small spool. I usually use the holder when I am use a large cone for my home machine (which is the opposite of your process). Thread holder works well and sews all the way. You can buy a holder at any fabric store such at Hancock, JoAnn, or any sewing center. They are not expensive, maybe less than $5.

If you will give me your email, I can send you a picture of what the holder looks like.

Your picture must be really cool. I sure would like to see a picture of it.
    Viv Yost <br />V-Embroidery<br />Denton, Texas

Comment

Hi Dennis,
      MadeiraUSA has glow thread on 1640 yard cones.
      I also appreciated the tip on using home threads.
      Thanks,
      Mary
      Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

I had some photos made of this piece, but done onto black velvet. They are on my site:

www.pacificenhancements.com

Comment

Way cool!
          Mary
          Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Working...
          X