chenille effect embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chenille effect embroidery

There's a comment on the MelcoUSA website that reads "Embroider a micro chenille effect with your AMAYA XT embroidery machine. The AMAYA XT / OS can be set to stitch a "pile" or "chenille" look with any general fill pattern. Click here for instructions on how to get the cool effect without spending thousands of dollars on a chenille machine." Sounds interesting but there's no link. Does anyone know how to achieve this effect?
    Thanks,
    Mary
    Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Yep! My rep sent me the instructions and the file. The effect is really cool. You do have to use special thread (a 12 weight). I now need to figure out how to do it myself. I do a lot of letterman's jackets and this might be a cool thing to use when regular chenille is not available.

The thread is Burmilana Thread. It comes in lots of colors. Perhaps I can send the files to John for posting to the web site? Is this legal or can we put a link to where it is on melco's site (I don't know where that is as it was sent to me).

Dorothy Compton, Owner
    Bee Embroidered
    www.BeeEmbroidered.com
    (916) 635-7467
    Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Mary,

"Chenille Look" is the key term. Real chenille is done with a much heavier thread than what embroidery machines use...close to yarn. SO, the "Look" varies depending on loop height and density set. Maybe going to a really big needle and some really heavy thread might work but I have not played with this feature too much. I know in India they use a very heavy thread...we have some of it and it resembles yarn....may have to try it sometime....

In OS, "Settings", "Machine", disable all thread protection(uncheck), choose "Standard acti-feed" and run the material thickness all the way up to 40....thats as high as it will go. Slow your machine speed don a little and sew.....

In DS you can vary densities to get different effects as well as in OS vary material thickness setting to get differtent effects too...

Settings by Color is a tool that can be utilized in this regard to program a certain needle to switch over to these settings if the chenille is going to be incorporated into the middle f a design some where....

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Saw a demo at the Ft. Worth ISS this past October and was told by a Melco rep that the needle size to use is 100. He said the design need to be digitized to get the chenelle effect. The thread did look and feel like yarn. I think this is real cool. Sure would like to try but how do we get the instructions?
        Viv Yost <br />V-Embroidery<br />Denton, Texas

Comment

I think there is supposed to be a link at the MelcoUSA website, but it's currently missing. I didn't see a way to contact the web manager about it, but I think I will call. I'm very interested in trying it. I even think I have size 100 needles that I got from Madeira with a sample of the Burmilana.
          Mary

Comment

Mary,

Send me your email address and I'll forward the instructions and ofm file.

[email protected]

Dorothy Compton, Owner
            Bee Embroidered
            www.BeeEmbroidered.com
            (916) 635-7467
            Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Hi Dorothy,
              Thanks for the offer. My email address is [email protected].

Comment

I just talked to the guys at MelcoUSA. There is supposed to be a link on the page, and they are looking into it.
                Here's the webpage: http://www.melcousa.com/index.php?s=56&d=29

Mary

Comment

Rod - other people mentioned different needle size (100) and different weight thread.. Are these necessary or just to make it look 'better'?
                  Thanks so much for your time you spend - I so appreciate it!!

Also I'd like to mention that I've called melco several times and left msgs with trainers and nevr gotten a response so this is terrific!! Jill
                  Jill<br />SE Colorado

Comment

Jill,
                    Recognize that as you play in this area of Chenille Embroidery, you will be among a small group compared to regular embroidery so you will learn what works best for you.
                    With respect to needle/thread size and density of design for this type of effect, it's all up to you, the operator/digitizer, to have fun changing the look of the final embroidered work.
                    However, consider that the thicker and softer the thread gets (like that of yarn), the harder it may be for the rotary hook to catch the thread correctly under the needleplate. This is where changing the needle depth setting might be required in order to form a larger loop of thread under the needle plate to help the rotary hook do it's job.
                    True chenille machines use a different rotary hook to accomplish this task.
                    Best of luck to you.
                    Ed
                    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Jill,

Ole Ed knows his stuff!!

But to answer your question...to get the closest look to real chenille you do need to go to the heavier type of threads. The chenille's that I have seen done on the Amaya, using regular thread, normaly 40 wt, tend to look more like varying weights of terry cloth towels depending on the height and densities used during the process.

Rod Springer
                      Amaya Tech & Trainer
                      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Jill,
                        What Rod means to say is that normal 40 wt. thread tends to look like Uncle Joe's head of thinning hair (without the comb-over).
                        But hey, Aunt Myrtle is still in love with Uncle Joe. Hence everyone likes something different.
                        But I agree with Rod - thicker looks better.
                        (Rod taught me everything I know.)
                        [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Ed
                        -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Mary sent me her instructions a while back and I just found this today. I'll be doing some of this next week and will post my pix of the results.

A blog focusing on the embroidery thread industry, offering tips and tricks and insights on how to make your embroidery business more successful.

Comment

can you send me that file? I've been looking everywhere and I found nothing that would help me.
                            I would be forever grateful.

Comment

Working...
                            X