Bobbin Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobbin Tension

We just picked up a Towa Bobbin Case Tension Gauge from Madeira. It was on sale so I figured what the heck. Does anyone have or use this gadget. It doesn't state what tension I'm shooting for on this thing so I was wondering if anybody would have a good starting point? I have always just used the drop method, I'm wondering if i just wasted $60.00.
    Everett & Michelle

Try this site-www.cigarcityarts.com/towa.html. Should be some instructions there.
    Gregory

Comment

Very good information there...Thanks for the help!
      Everett & Michelle

Comment

Let us know how it works for you!
        Gregory

Comment

Turtle,
          Dare I say it..... I think your $60 bucks could have been better spent.

Here's why:

When it comes to bobbin tension, one must first consider the machine. The embroidery machine will be either a "conventional" type machine or it will be an "Amaya" machine. Conventional meaning every embroidery machine other than the Melco Amaya.
          Conventional machines will have to have the upper thread tension in mind when setting the bobbin tension where as the Amaya machine utilizes it's patented "Auto Acti-Feed" system.

But for the most part, setting the tension will be the same. How much tension you choose to set will be up to you depending on your results.

Consider this... When it comes to bobbin tension, there is an acceptable RANGE that one could use. Get your bobbin tension anywhere in that RANGE and all will be good. If you go outside that range, too loose tension will result in bobbin showing up on top of the garment and possible thread breaks and on the other end of the range, too tight tension will result in possible top thread looping, fabric puckering, top thread not picking up of the bobbin thread when you start sewing.

Therefore, there is no specific number that you are trying to aquire with your tension guage. If you find one, let us know.

Consider this. Keeping your bobbin case clean is essential because a dirty bobbin case will cause you to have either too much tension or too loose of tension. And it can go back and forth all the while you're sewing.
          What's great about the Amaya machine is that as factors change, such as a dirty bobbin case, the "Auto Acti-Feed" system will auto compensate by adjusting the upper thread feed (on the fly)to attempt to maintain balanced thread tensions.
          That fact alone makes you want to say WOW! However, you should still clean and check your bobbin case on a regular basis should it need it.

I hope this helps.

Ed Orantes
          Melco Tech & Trainer
          -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

I should also mention that those of you who have heard over the years that balanced bobbin thread tension looks like 1/3 color, 1/3 bobbin, 1/3 color thread when viewing satin stiches on the underside of the garment,.....
            Well this only applies to those Conventional machine I spoke of above.
            The Amaya machine won't produce this pattern consistently because the Auto Acti-Feed is constantly changing all the while you are sewing.
            But who really cares what the underside looks like as long as the top side looks great? Right??
            And for those of you who want the underside of the garment to look like the top side, well now you'll have to go into the thread feed settings and monkey around with the adjustments to control what the top thread does. For most embroiderers, factory default settings will work just fine.

PS&gt; If you find that the Amaya produces less viewable bobbin thread on the underside of the garment, this will be common. Not that it matters, but pound for pound, bobbin thread costs more than top thread so you're saving a little money here not to mention the less bobbin thread that is used, the more garments you can sew with one spool of bobbin (fewer frequent bobbin changes). Just a little "FYI".

Ed Orantes
            Melco Tech & Trainer
            -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Hello Ed...Don and I were taught the 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3 in training and you know who trained us in Georgia too...we have learned that that isn't always the way it looks when you turn it over to see...we have found out if it looks good on the front we don't worry too much about the back not being the 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3...thanks for this information too...so until next time...

Jenny
              Westbrook Wonders
              Jenny<br />Westbrook Wonders<br />Wetumpka, AL 36093<br />334-567-3867<br />[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X