Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting organized

Hello All:

One of my resolutions for this year was to finally get my embroidery business systems in place, i. e. order tracking, customer and/job files, etc. In the past my business has been a part time "hobby", just a couple of accounts, family and friends, etc. Well, I am currently unemployed from a regular day job, I am looking for something full time but we all know what the job market is like. I now have PLENTY of time on my hands to get my embroidery shop organized. I am tired of a pile of catalogs here, a pile of sew outs there and misc stuff every where else. I would love to hear how others have organized their shops...from filing systems to order scheduling to just about anything else that you have done to make your life and work flow easier. My business is starting to grow (which is a great thing) but I am spending too much time trying to locate things. I do mostly contract work because my shop is out of my home out in the middle of nowhere. Thanks in advance for any info you can supply.

Regards,

Randi
    One Stitch @ A Time Emb.

Wow, Randi,
    I hope everyone is busy these days as I see no one responded to your email....
    I, personally, frequent many embroidery shops servicing machines and training so my thougths are a combination of that experience along with my own experience in my shop.
    Keep your sales/office area separate from your production area. Your sales/office area should be available to accept walk in customers (or not) and should not be interupted by loud machines when speaking on the phone. Keep your paper work/order forms and catalogs organized and to a minimum but keep them in a place where you will know where they are when you need them in a hurry when you get that unexpected call for an order.
    Your production department can be broken down into separate areas. Orders to be done need to be stored in an organized manner until ready to be sewn. I like the first in - first out method. Then you will want a hooping table with possibly a sheet of peg-board nearby so you can hang up all of your hoops and the like. Next will be the table for your Computer which is right next to your machine(s). Following that is the next area which is designed for "clean up" or "trimming" where you remove stray threads, cut/tear away backings, remove hoop burns, iron/steam wrinkles, inspect final work, fold and package final goods. This table could be on the backside of the hooping table where you can share the backside of the sheet of peg-board to hold scissors and such.
    Finally, you will need an area to store orders ready to be picked up and/or delivered. Orders should be clearly marked so as not to get mixed up.
    If you keep these areas separate, and happen to have some help from a family member or friend, or you happen to bring on an employee, you are set up for different people to handle different tasks and not find them bumping into each other. The "sewer" sews and the "trimmer" trims.
    By all means, try to keep your shop clean as dust and lint will get all over everything. Have good ventilation and wipe down frequently. If you use an air compressor to blow the dust off, use it in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner otherwise you're just moving your mess around. Your machine will run better if kept clean too.
    Always try to be one step ahead of your business' growth spurts because if you don't, it will have a negative affect on your overall business. We learned the hard way our first Christmas season and MAN,.... we did things different the second year.
    Hope this helps,
    Ed
    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

I would love to hear about some good resources for ordering supplies. ie; thread, backings, needles, etc. Catalogs to subscribe too as well for tips and guidance.
      We have two Amaya machines in our business right now. Any tips on ordering supplies would be greatly appreciated. I don't do the embroidery, but I am the go to person when they need advice on something and supplies.

Comment

I recently tried Hammer Brothers which was recommended off of this site. They carry Robison Anton poly thread which I use, and I found their prices to be good on everything.

Comment

Working...
        X