Cotton or Poly Bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotton or Poly Bobbins

I've been reading some articles that mention using a cotton bobbin as opposed to poly bobbins to give small text or elements a crisper look. Is this something I should be using just on woven types of fabric or all embroidery? I deal with a large amount of the newer moisture wicking polo's. Makes me wonder if that is why some embroidery I look at in stores looks so clean. I want that nice clean look, it's so stunning.

To add to this question, can you combine poly top thread (which we use since we also deal with industrial laundered articles) with a cotton bobbin and not have troubles with the amaya machines? Or is my initial question just a dumb question to start with?

Comment

I can't answer this question at all, but I will tell you that I bought some cheaper "house brand" bobbins from my supplier instead of the normal "Coats" brand bobbins that I have been buying for years, and what a difference! My thread breaks have gone down significantly since I starting using these bobbins. The bobbin thread seems a little thinner. I would have never guessed bobbins could make such a difference.
      Jim Olfers
      www.velocity.deco-apparel.com/

Comment

Found the same thing in my case, got mine from Hammer Brothers. They were having a buy 1 get 1, so i did. Wondered at first because thread is thinner, but really like them.
        Hidden Cottage

Comment

The tech that was here last week was telling me that the Coats bobbins were causing all sorts of issues with the machines and they had put "issues" back in to test most and then worked out it was the bobbins causing the problems!

Im amazed at how quick Im going through bobbins ......... then I remember I am sewing at twice the speed I used to do!

Comment

I've found that Coats seems to have two types of bobbins. One that most sites sell that has a waxy coating that makes a mess under the tension spring. The other is sold as Coats American Generic (whatever that's supposed to mean); they don't have the coating and seem to work just fine (I pull off the cardboard sides). Rod and Sharon Springer have praised the Hammer Bros. bobbins, so that's what I'm trying next time I need bobbins. Here's a link:

Comment

We were so sold on Neb bobbins for many years until we tried the bobbins from Hammer Bros. absolutely no problems and less than half the price. Remember that cotton bobbins will shrink just like cotton fabric when wa shed and dried. Polyester won't. Think about what happens if the two are mixed.
              Sharon
              Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I've had cotton bobbin thread stretch running at speeds of over 850SPM. I don't care for the cotton and now use nothing but polyester filament bobbins.

Comment

Working...
                X