Screw fell off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw fell off

During sewing a hat, one of the big screws, the one that has a 1.5" head that holds the rods in place and screws from under the top rod, snapped and fell off. The thread part is still in there and the head is snapped off. My machine now makes a tremendous noise when going left and right - especially columns but running stitches too. Actually the noise started before the screw snapped off.How in the world do I fix this? Do I need to get a tech to fly over? Or is this something I can do myself?

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

I took apart the rods from the machine and could actually unscrew the broken off part (thank goodness!) So, tomorrow I will order 2 new screws from Melco and that should put me back in business. In the mean time I can do flats on it.

Juli in Kona

Comment

Juli
      I actually went to the hardware store with the old one and found a matching screw and picked up a fender Washer ( big washer) and I welded the washer to the screw head. The ones Melco sells are designed to fail.
      And there is NO reason. except make them more money.
      I have never had to replace them again. and they work perfectly.
      [email protected]
      Jerome in Minnesota
      (320)259-1151

Comment

The large thumb screws being referred to have been redesigned and come with the XTS machines. They are not made out of pot metal and are 1000 percent better than the old style...

Rod
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

then my solution is not necessary,
          Just cheaper total cost for the ones I made $2.24 Total
          Melco Price & shipping to Hawaii $2.83 each & shipping $2 to $7
          Your choice.
          [email protected]
          Jerome in Minnesota
          (320)259-1151

Comment

I went to Home Depot and got a replacement screw with a hex head, not the thumb screw. 59 cents for three screws and it worked perfectly. I am back in business. Yea!

Juli in Kona

Comment

Working...
            X