Trimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmer

My thread trimmer is no longer trimming thread at all, any ideas. Opened the bobbin area and it moves.

is this a Big Red, XT or XTS?
    Did you loosen the screws holding the trimmer block in place.
    [email protected]
    Jerome in Minnesota
    (320)259-1151

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion and the screw is there and tight.
      It's the XTS and it appears that both the trimmer and stitch tie off are not working properly.

Comment

The XTS will have the newer style ACAT trimmer module on it. My first guess, from that info was provided, is that the pushrod wires/cables are probably bent/bowed and need either straightened or replaced. If this is the case, the cutter/selector is not able to travel thru its full range of motion , thereby not picking up the top and/or bobbin thread.This would usually be caused from lack of lubrication or debris buildup not allowing the cutter/selector to glide freely or a combination of both.... OR...as my second option, the module is dull and needs replaced

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Just a quick note tie in and tie off is a design issue,
          be sure your file has them included. as the machine only does what it is told.
          and ties are nothing more then closely grouped stitches
          [email protected]
          Jerome in Minnesota
          (320)259-1151

Comment

I am having this same problem too.... none of my threads are trimming. I read your response Rod but have no idea where the screw is to the trimmer block. where can I find a good picture of the parts you're describing? If my knife is dull (or broke), how can I find this out? Is this something I can fix or do I need someone out to help?

Comment

Greewing mentioned the screw to the trimmer block housing. This particular screw is one that is better to not mess with as the trimmer adjustment can be tricky. Every machine acts a bit differently and if you don't have experience in setting/adjusting the different types from Big Red vs XT vs XTS it can be frustrating at best.

The trimmer block housing securement screw does not need to be messed with to allow a through cleaning in the XT or XTS styles.

I have found that the ACAT module needs to have extra oil for the parts to glide smoothly/freely as there needs to be a fair amount of tension between the upper knife and the cutter-selector to be able to shear the thread properly. The ACAT module is held in place by a "C" clip. By carefully removing this clip, the module can be lifted off of the pin and the area underneath cleaned if necessary.

It is easier to check the pushrods if the metal plate that covers the top of the sewing arm is removed . Sometimes the wires will fatigue, especially if they are been overworked from lack of lubrication to the trimmer assembly. The little 90 degree bends on the ends of the pushrods that fit into holes on the trimmer module can break off.

The other possibility is the wires have bent/kinked/bowed. The only way to check this is to remove the lower back plate on the back of the machine to expose the pushrods going up into the sewing arm. They should be straight. If bowed, sometimes they can be finger straightened, if bent/kinked, they should be replaced. I would advise not to loosen the clamps that hold these pushrods in place as now you are getting into the technical realm of real frustration if you do not have the training necessary to get the job done properly....

Same applies to the XT's. A difference in the XT vs the XTS .....the XT has a separate knife and selector. The XTS is a module and you cannot separate the knife/selector assembly, it must be replaced as a unit.

The Big Reds do not have the wire pushrods. They have a flat metal rod attached to a stepper motor that drives the lower knife back an forth.....it is a totally different animal to deal with.

Hope this helps clear some of this up.....

Rod Springer

Comment

Rod I only asked if they had loosened them, (which is Bad)
                The reason is as you describe it is very touchy and a minute setting to get it back where it needs to be.
                I did not get a response to the question, just told they were there and tight.
                Sorry If I caused any confusion here...
                [email protected]
                Jerome in Minnesota
                (320)259-1151

Comment

Greenwing, I was not taking an exception to you mentioning the housing block hold down securement screw.......it was the post from DianeN that sent up the red flag as to the possibility that it may be "ok" to loosen the screw, remove the housing block for cleaning, etc, etc.....thereby possibly creating more of a problem than they, meaning, the general overall Amayausers group, started with.

Your posts to the group have been helpful to many I am sure...... kudo's to you for the helping hand to the group, there are many of us that are "do it your selfers" , and I am one myself. I sometimes get myself into trouble because of lack of understanding the consequences of tampering with some component....example loosening a screw with a washer that sits on top of a hidden low compression spring holding a small ball bearing in place and the enevitable "Whoops"*@&%^#*^ that comes after the fact...and then trying to figure out in what order everything is suppose to go back in.....

So no issue here......Merry Christmas.....

Rod

Comment

;-)
                    Truly I know what you mean,
                    take care....
                    [email protected]
                    Jerome in Minnesota
                    (320)259-1151

Comment

Thought I'd better jump in here... was offline for a few days. I did not loosen anything, which is a good thing based on your warnings.
                      Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the parts to know what I should or what I should look for. I have removed the plate for general cleaning in the bobbin area. I see the cutting mechanism move forward and backward when I do a trim... just no trimming occurs. I'm wondering if my blade is broken but I don't even know how to go about checking for that. So if someone can assist me... I would appreciate it.
                      Do extra blades typically come with the XTS? I don't recall seeing one.

Comment

No the XTS does not come with an extra trimmer module. It has to purchased on as needed basis.

If you can see the trimming mechanism actually moving back and forth, I would closely check the hook timing before looking into replacing the module.

Rod Springer

Comment

Rod.... Any chance you can look at my mechanism thru FaceTime??

Rod.... Any chance you can look at my mechanism thru FaceTime??

My machine has never been serviced in the 3 years I've had it, other than the routine maintenance I've done on it.

Is it possible to have your trained eye look at it thru FaceTime??

Originally posted by Rod or Sharon View Post
                          No the XTS does not come with an extra trimmer module. It has to purchased on as needed basis.

If you can see the trimming mechanism actually moving back and forth, I would closely check the hook timing before looking into replacing the module.

Rod Springer

Comment

Rod...I checked hook timing and it says 47.9.... what does that mean? is there any place I can find what the typical range is for some of these settings?

Comment

Working...
                            X