TruSew Magnetic bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TruSew Magnetic bobbins?

I've been offered a change to buy a HUGE lot of these. Does anyone else use them? If you do, what do you think of them? Is $22 a decent price?

I don't know personally, but there's a YouTube video that seems to be showing that the TruSew do not keep a consistent tension. I do use Magna Glide bobbins though and I like them.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

In the world of sewing (not embroidery) TruSew thread is a "no-no". If you look at it under a magnifying glass, it is a very inconsistent thread with bumps and thin spots throughout. We were always taught if you are going to take the time to sew something, use a good quality thread....NOT TruSew. I will tell you that we have used NEB Bobbins for the past 10 years and swore by them for consistent tension and no lint build-up. I was asked to try the bobbins sold by Hammer Brothers and very apprehensively said, "OK." I stitched over 700 shirts and found them to work very well. No tension issues or lint. They are half the price. I think they are $18.99 a gross or maybe 144.
      Sharon Springer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

My bad. They aren't TruSew bobbins, they are COATS TruSew magnetic bobbins. I agree with sharon. TruSew thread....:::shudder:::. I'm also a seamstress, and I won't use it if a client brings it to me as the matching thread. I was talking about the Coats TruSew poly bobbins, with the magnetic core. Does anyone out there use them?

Comment

Judy, As techs and trainers Rod and I feel a responsibility to at least try some of the other brands so we can make a good comparison. We tried them once and threw them away. We have A Big Red, and 3 XT's and found we lost tension with them. Went right back to our NEB and the bobbins from Hammer Bros. Tension problem went away. One of our clients gave us a few to try.... we don't like them. Just my opinion. I know there will be others who like them.
          Sharon

Comment

Sharon, I tried the NEB bobbins. They sewed out just fine, but I had two issues with them (one big, one pretty picky). I didn't like that the thread was attached to the bobbin core so that instead of just running out at the end and allowing my machine to give me a bobbin break message, the machine would just keep going with the super tight bobbin thread until the upper thread broke. I also don't like the idea of throwing away the plastic core; can they be sent back for recycling? I know it's picky, but every little bit helps.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to ask - where are you getting them? I paid close to $45 for a gross and decided it wasn't worth the expense.

Comment

Hi Mama Kass!
                The very first boxes of NEBS we also experienced the thread being glued to the plastic casing where it first started winding thread but haven't had that problem in a long while. The ones we are now using are from Hammer Brothers http://www.hammerbrothers.com/hbrothers/ and they are listed on the front page of this catalog for $18.99. So far, I have no issues with them. They have a plastic-like finish on the cardboard which is white and very thin. When they run empty, the sides just collapse so when you reach for the bobbin, it looks like it disappeared inside your case but it is there.
                Sharon

Comment

Next time I need bobbins, I'll give them a try. Keep us posted if you experience any problems.

Comment

Thanks for this post. We've never used the magnetic ones but we have been using the Coats TruSew for 6 yrs. At training we were told these were the best. We do have issues with several out of each box being "bad" where it almost appears as if there is too much wax and the thread looks glued together, so to speak. It shreds often and we have alot more bobbin issues than we used to. It seems like the quality has decreased over the years because we never had the problems in the beginning. I'm so glad to know what to try next without alot of trial and error here. Thanks!

Comment

TruSew Magnetic Bobbins

Originally posted by Judy View Post
                      I've been offered a change to buy a HUGE lot of these. Does anyone else use them? If you do, what do you think of them? Is $22 a decent price?
                      I did not have good luck with them and stopped using that brand a few years ago. Always had several bad ones in the batch too.

My personal favorite is NEB plastic side. I have also tried the MetroEmb plastic side and they also work fine in my XT, Brother ULT and Brother Quattro 6700D. My XT doesn't like the MetroEmb thread at all though. Too many breaks but the bobbins do fine for me. The price is great too. If you decide to try them they might send you a few samples or you could just try 1 box to see if your machine likes them.

It seems that every machine has it's own temperament.

Marcelle Lewis
                      Machine Embroidery Designs, Mardi Gras, Baby, Children, Butterfly, Dragonfly, Flower, Immediate Download, Party, Holiday, Amazing Quality, Hearts, Monograms, Alphabets, Large Designs, Mouse, pattern

Embroidery Design Sales, Free Embroidery Designs, Hot Fix Crystals, Embroidery Designs Digitizers, Graphics for Embroidery, Thread & Supplies for Embroidery, Embroidery Machines, Equipment & Accessories, Embroidery Software for Digitizing, Resizing, Thread Conversion, Embroidery Related Users Lists, Sewing & Fabric Related Websites, Web Site Designers for Embroidery Sites, Sewing & Fabric Related Websites
                      Marcelle Lewis
                      http://embroideryavenue.com
                      http://embroidery.gotop100.com

Comment

Thank you, one and all, for your input. I'm having really great luck with my Coats PolyMatic Barbobs, so after everything I've read, I believe I'l dodge this particular bullet.

Comment

You know, with all I've seen in the field, I don't know what about the Coats Trusew Magnetic Bobbins,....... is MAGNETIC. I've tried various samples from many different boxes against various types of steel but no magnetism to speak of. Any thoughts out there?
                          As for thread quality, here's an article someone posted on About.Com three years ago pertaining to sewing thread (not necessarily bobbin thread).

........-The Embroidery Authority-..........
                          "Turning your Problems into Production.
                          ..................-Ed Orantes-......................
                          ................-504-258-6260-....................

Comment

Sharon,

Is this the NEB bobbin you like (from hammer brothers):
                            8321-00-000L NEB Plastic sided style "L" White $42.48
                            They have this one also which matches the price (although this is a some years later)
                            8330-00-000L Style "L" bobbin $18.99

Is it a non-magnetic with plastic sides bobbin?

Thanks,

Terri

Comment

In case Rod and Sharon are away, here's a quote from them in a past thread:

"..NEBs, are great, Maderia works well, but we have started using Hammer Brothers plastic coated bobbins and have been pleased with them and they are less than half the cost of the others..."

It is the 8830's that they are talking about and they are non-magnetic.

Comment

Working...
                              X