OS slowing as day continues on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS slowing as day continues on

Recently bought a new computer with windows 7 professional. I am noticing that the OS version10 program reaction to loading designs, using the "settings by color" seems to slow down as the work day continues on. Anyone else having this trouble? My DS was also very slow, but after refreshing the dongles, that has improved. It's strange because it starts out fine early in the day. Guessing it might be some setting on the computer itself, but I have no idea what to do to help this. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I am just wondering if you ever figured this out. I recently replaced my computer and and having the same problem.
    Thanks, Mike

Comment

No Mike, I haven't. If things are moving really slow for loading the designs, I just restart the program at noon, and then it seems to be good to go again. I can't pinpoint anything that I am doing that might be causing this either, it doesn't seem to matter if I just load designs and sew, or if I use any specific settings, such as the "settings by color" in the color sequence tab. I did ask Melco about it, and they just scratched their heads and replied that it shouldn't do this. That was a real revelation! I also have noticed that at the end of the day when I shut down the program, it takes more time than what I deem normal, to close. Odd as DS shuts right down. If anybody has any ideas what might be going on, please chime in and give your thoughts. It's a bit frustrating to sit and wait for these files to completely load before you can begin sewing, particularly on your busiest days.

Comment

I have found DS is not programmed well to cleanup after its self.
        It never dumps memory and it bogs down due to this...

I have found huge latent files in ram that should have just been dumped but they remained and took up ram.

restarting usually clears this up.
        [email protected]
        Jerome in Minnesota
        (320)259-1151

Comment

Thanks for both of your feedbacks. I have been on the phone with Melco 4 times now. First, they act like it's unusual and that they haven't heard of the problem before. I find that very surprising as it has happened to us twice. We have had the same exact problem when replacing computers at both of our locations. If it's happened to us twice, we find it hard to believe that this has not been a problem with a huge amount of people in which case they would be very familiar with the problem and be working on a solution. They even login to our computer and look at all of the settings and of course after restarting and such everything works well for a time so they just say "okay, looks like it's fixed, anything else I can help you with" and go on their merry way. Within a half hour or so I am back to where I was. Very frustrating.
          I think the only way to get this fixed is for many of us to stay on them until they figure out what the issue is. I think it's a compatibility issue with their programs and newer versions of Windows. Everything worked beautifully with my Windows XP.

Comment

Seems odd to me that I did not have this problem with Windows XP Professional. I would think that if it's from DS not dumping memory, that would be the case no matter what Windows program you are using as that would be a problem associated with the Melco program. I guess the good news is we can get back to "norm" by closing and re-opening the program. Just an added hassle that most of us do not need. I again contacted Melco last week, but as of this morning, still no response. That's disappointing.

Comment

Mike- Melco did finally get back to me on this. It is suggested that if you are using the new version 10.00.051 to UNCHECK run in compatibility mode for OS. ( DS should not run in compatibility mode). We however, are using 10.00.037 as we had problems with tie offs not working right when we upgraded to 10.00.051 so went back to our previous version. We are going to get more RAM and that should help the situation.

Comment

Hmmm, very odd. Talked to Melco service again yesterday and did just the opposite. We looked at the compatibility mode setting for OS and it was not checked. He said that it needs to be checked and select compatibility mode for XP service pack 3, which I did. It ran well all afternoon but was not that busy so am not sure yet.

Comment

Almost like they don't have a clue...

Sorry I had to.
                  [email protected]
                  Jerome in Minnesota
                  (320)259-1151

Comment

Gotta I think I have to agree with Jerome. With our version and windows 7 we were told to check the compatibility mode as well, but use Vista service pack 2!! I've just been closing DS after most every use and it seems to be helping some. May have to try the XP service pack 3. I think I most likely have tried all the modes in that list, but what the heck...one more time I guess. I am hearing more people are having issues with other programs bogging down the system since switching to windows 7. I guess "not so compatible" even though they claim the programs are.

Comment

Yeah, I think the problem is that whenever someone calls about this, during the fix the programs are getting restarted which seems to clear it up and so they think it is all fixed. The only embroiderers that are really affected by this are those that run a lot of small jobs and therefore are constantly loading designs which is what seems to be bogging it down. If you only run a few jobs a day, you might not even notice it, especially if you shut down and restart every day. I'm really not sure if we will ever convince Melco that this is an issue that needs to be fixed.

Comment

Curious, what version of OS are you two running? We are using OS 10.00.37and DS 9.00.101...... NOT OS 10.00.51 which is the latest and greatest supposedly. (gave our machines fits)

Comment

Just wanted to bump this thread. Still having the same issue. Having to shut down and restart OS every 5 or 6 jobs and it's getting very frustrating. Has anyone found out any more about this? Melco still no help!

Comment

I have been having nothing but trouble with OS 10.00.51. After almost every job, it gets unresponsive and freezes up or goes so slow that it takes forever! Now my tie offs are not working either! I have reloaded the software a couple times and then had trouble getting the hoops.mdb to "take", even though I put the new hoops.mdb file in the System folder where it's supposed to go! I just finally got the hoops working, but now no tie offs! I'm so tired of reinstalling the program and it doesn't help!
                            Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

I get MJ, that's exactly why we went back to our former level of OS. Our troubles started majorly after upgrading to Windows 7. Seems as though many programs are not as "compatible" as they'd like us to believe. I still have the slow down but at least my tie offs work! Just a habit now to work in DS, shut down, restart, and then stay out of DS for editing, or digitizing if I want to do some serious sewing. Or I wait until later in the day for DS work and consider my sew time basically done unless I do not have any new files to load to my machines. Sometimes the latest and greatest is not all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X