Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust/Lint in and around the hook Guard...machine running poorly

Hello Everybody,

It's been awhile since I've been on here. We have a problem that I hope you can help with.

We have four machines...2 XT and 2 XTS. The XTS machines are only a little over a year old. The problem is that on one of the XTS machines there is a lot of Dust and Lint build-up around the Hook Guard area. There will be a VERY noticeable amount after just 3 - 4 runs...None of the other machines have this or have ever had this problem, and we've had the oldest one almost 8 years now. Also this machine has WAY more thread breaks, needle breaks and miss-trims then the others...probably about ten times more. We recently replaced the trimmer and that helped some. But it's still the worst of the four by a long shot. Does anybody know why this machine would have so much dust build-up when the others running the same exact logos don't have any or very, very little. Also would or could this be the problem on why it runs and trims so poorly? What would be a good solution other then just cleaning it and oiling it more often, which is what I'm doing.

Thank You!
    Everett & Michelle

Questions....

Have you tried a different bobbin case?
    What brand of bobbins are you using...are they cardboard sided?
    Are you using adhesive sprays, sticky backing?
    Checked hook timing?
    Checked the retaining support finger for roughness or burring?
    It may be something on/in the rotary hook or a problem with the rotary hook itself.

I sounds as if there is a common denominator and it appears to point directly at the bobbin/rotary hook area.

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Hello Rod,

Thank you for the reply.

No I haven't tried a different bobbin case, I have several new ones extra so I will definitely do that.
      I use Coats brand bobbins and yes they are cardboard sided...Should I switch bobbins?
      I have never used adhesive or sticky backing...from what I heard it's not good for the machine.
      I have not checked hook timing. I don't know how to do that...Is that something a non technical person such as myself could do?
      As far as the retaining support finger...can you describe that part? Not sure what that is.
      I do know that the selector is working properly, the trimmer is coming out just like the other machines.

I'll see about checking the hook timing and the retaining support finger

Thank You very much Rod!
      Everett & Michelle

Comment

I personally do not use the Coats brand as they seem to cause more lint, dust, etc to build up under the tension spring on the bobbin case which in turn leads to more maintenance, tensioning, cleaning, etc....NEBs, are great, Maderia works well, but we have started using Hammer Brothers plastic coated bobbins and have been pleased with them and they are less than half the cost of the others...

Adhesive sprays and sticky backing certainly can be useful at times, but will cause extra cleaning maintenance in the bobbin case/rotarty hook area from build-up..

Retaining support finger....it is what keeps the rotary hook basket from spinning freely....in the on-line parts manual... http://www.melco-service.com/UserFil...AmayaParts.htm there is a picture of this part. Be aware that this finger MUST be properly gapped for the machine to operate properly. In your start up kit is a flat piece of metal, approx. 2 in long, 1 in wide with a short finger coming off of it at one end. This guage is approx. 22-23 thousands thick. It is used to properly gap the finger to the rotary hook basket....

Hook timing is something everyone should become familiar with.... http://www.melco-service.com/UserFil.../Technical.htm

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

It sounds like an abrasion issue - a rough spot somewhere, like Rod says. I doubt it's your bobbins. Why would the problem occur only on one machine? I use Coats American Generic from American Embroidery Supply. For some reason they don't have the same waxy coating that non-generic Coats bobbins have and so do not leave any residue in the bobbin case. I also pull off the cardboard sides and they have worked for me just fine. I'm going to try the Hammer Bros. #8330 next time I order because they're a lot cheaper and Rod & Sharon have liked them.

Also some of us have applications where sticky backing or spray adhesives are necessary; you just need to be diligent about doing hook washes to eliminate build-up in the bobbin area. Here's a link on the topic:

Comment

Thank you Very much Rod and Mama Kass. Lots of good info here.
            Everett & Michelle

Comment

Working...
            X