Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free standing lace

Hi all

I've been having a play today at some free standing lace which works really well. The only problem I have is constant false thread breaks. I'm using 3 layers of water soluble stabiliser. On an 11000 stitch design it stopped about 20 times, and each time I had to then advance the machine 10 or so stitches and start again.

Is there a setting I might have to adjust to avoid this or is it just something I'll have to put up with.

Cheers
    Andy

You might check your presser foot height because flagging is very often responsible for false thread break messages; set it as low as you can without damaging your finished project. Someone else will have to chime in for settings because I have an old machine and programs.

Comment

Mama Kass pointed out one area that will cause the problem...the presserfoot. She runs a Big Red, but the presserfoot settings will be the same for flat work. And she is spot on....run it as low as you can as long as it is not damaging the fabric.

Dis-counting the presserfoot issue, a major cause of false thread break issues are very narrow columns and/or very short stitches. Free standing lace is going to have those kind of issues, especially if the presserfoot height is too high.

Short of some serious editing in the design area...the easiest thing to do is go into your Settings and disable the bobbin detection. This means that you will need to be vigilante that you do not have a real bobbin break take place.

You might rotate the thread break sensor tube "gently" back and forth and then leave it in a slightly different position than it was.....tech stuff here...

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks for that, guys. I tried it with the presser foot set all the way to the bottom and that didn't make a difference. I turned one of the other settings (I can't remember which as I'm not in the studio today) from Auto to Standard and changed the minimum setting to 1. Sorry to be vague but I'm going completely from memory! That seemed to help. I did a second try and it only came up with 5 or 6 false thread breaks but I don't know if that was just coincidence. I might try another and turn the bobbin detection off. Just have to remember to turn it on again!

I really enjoy playing with this sort of thing. I do towels for 99% of the time so doing something a bit different adds some variety.

If anyone wants to see the finished article, it's the bird book mark here:

Cheers
        A

Comment

Working...
        X