Grabber Timeout Error HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grabber Timeout Error HELP!

Hi, I'm new to the amaya users forum so hopefully I'm possting in the correct place! Has anyone else had problems with a grabber timeout error on their amaya xt. Needles 1-5 and 14-16 work perfectly, but if it goes to trim on 6-13 it make a horrible grinding sound and I get the grabber timeout message. I've taken the covers off and can't find any obstructions and can move the grabber freely by hand. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

It sounds as if the Grabber blade is not going into the Grabber Trap . The Grabber blade should slide into the trap between the two Velcro layers easily . If it does not, the grabber WILL make a loud chattering noise and sometimes give you the timeout error. The grabber blade not only needs to move freely, but also must penetrate the Velcro layers easily.

The grabber trap may need to be bent forward or backward slightly to re-align the blade and grabber.

This, of course, is assuming that the stepper motor that drives the grabber blade is working properly, that there are not other obstructions that would prevent free movement of the blade and that the trimmeris cutting the thread during a trim. If the thread is not cut and the blade stretches it tight up into the grabber trap, sometims this will result in the noise and timeout error.

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! The blade slides easily between the Velcro layers in the trap. The grinding starts as soon as the blade starts to move towards the trap on needles 6-13. I'm thinking it may be the stepper motor. Is it a big deal to replace? Would my other needles (1-5&14-16) be working fine as they are if the stepper motor was malfunctioning?

Comment

It makes no sense that the grabber only malfunctions on needles 6-13 and works ok otherwise. There is no common denominator there.

The grabber blade has no real connection to the needles unless the grabber blade is impacting the needles in some way during the trimming motion.

Go into Tools, Maintenance, Steppers and in the Grabber column do a test on every needle . Do a visual check on a needle position while do an in/out over and over until you see what could be stopping the grabber.

quote....Is it a big deal to replace? Would my other needles (1-5&14-16) be working fine as they are if the stepper motor was malfunctioning?

If you are trained , no it would not be a big deal, but it is kind of tedious even then. If the motor was malfunctioning....it should be failing regardless of needle position....just has to be some binding going on.

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

It does seem crazy that it works on all the other needles. We've been using it this way for quite some time now. Its just a terrible noise on those needles. It moves a fraction of an inch towards the trap and starts grinding and vibrating but wont go towards the trap. But I can slide it by hand easily back and forth in and out of the trap.

Comment

Did you do the Grabber test on each needle as suggested by Rod? This sure sounds like what it does when it is getting stuck on something.

Comment

Yes, I did and it still does the same on 6-13. I cant find that its getting stuck or hitting anything. But it is sure binding up somehow. Just can't tell where or how. Like I said, It'll easily move in and out by hand, just not by machine command.

Comment

Ok...here is another thought. On the upper left corner and on the backside of the needlecase , there is the possibility that the Home sensor cable is getting hung up on the grabber optical sensor flag. The cable is cable tied to the needlecase and is looped to take up excess slack in the wiring. If this loop is being drug into the close clearance on the backside of the needlecase, it could be being pushed into the flag and as the flag turns it is picking up the cable on these midrange needles.

The flag is a thin metal disk sitting on edge and is attached to a bronze colored eccentric that rotates and controls the movement of the grabber blade. This can be seen on the backside of the needlecase in the upper left hand corner......

Just another possibility....not sure,, but move the needlecase back and forth and check to see that nothing is interfering with that round disk at any needle location.

Rod Springer
                Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

Find anything yet?

Rod

Comment

The flag doesn't seem to be catching anything. I can retract and extend the grabber blade by turning the flag by hand on all needles. Moves just as freely in and out on the center needles as the outer ones.

Comment

It still makes on sense that this is only failing on needles 6 through 13. Does it fail when moving the needlecase from left to right as well as right to left in these areas?

The grabber and grabber trap, along with the stepper motor and pushrod all move together with the needlecase movement. If it fails on one needle position, it should, by all rights, with the exception of the wiring cable getting hung up, fail in all 16 needle positions. The stepper motor, flag, pushrod, grabber going into the grabber trap goes through the same motion as it does on all the other respective needles.

Without being there to see what is actually happing, I am at a loss as to what the solution is right now. Could be time for that dreaded tech call.....

Rod Springer
                      Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

Appreciate your time and advice! Yes, may have to make that call lol. Can we post videos to this forum? I may post a video of it.

Comment

I believe that you can post a link

Comment

Working...
                          X