Puckering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puckering

Having difficulty with satin fabric puckering. I am sewing a professionally digitized image on an AMAYA XTS machine. I have tried a few medium weight tearaway backings. Wondering if the problem is with the machine tension, hooping, backing, or stich density. Any suggestions are welcome! We are new at this! Thank you!

My guess would be the hooping. Satin is REALLY slippery and difficult to get a good grip on. After I hoop the satin, I take the extra hanging out above the hoop, fold it over several times, and stick straight pins through it, the pins flat to the toop. I do this all around, and it keeps the fabric from sliding back in.

Comment

Use a cut away backing medium wt

Also a small spritz of spray adhesive on the backing will keep the material from slipping while sewing.
      I know everyone is against spray adhesive.
      They are useful when used in moderation and only when necessary.

I have no issue with satin I do us a smaller needle a "9" sharp and a very quick spritz of adhesive. for high quality satin

but most just a 75/11 sharp and a spritz.

never a pucker.

I also use the mighty hoops from hoop master which has no issues with holding satin tight.

I personally don't like using pins with satin as the pins can snag the fabric easily.
      [email protected]
      Jerome in Minnesota
      (320)259-1151

Comment

We use satin quite a bit. I agree with Jerome - a spritz of spay adhesive, but do a search here for WD40 wash if you expect to do this regularly.
        If using conventional hoops, it really helps with slippage if you wrap them with stretchy athletic tape; we use Johnson & Johnson "Hurt-Free" tape.
        Another consideration...was the design digitized for use on satin? Very often what appears to be puckering on satin is actually the fabric being pushed out by dense stitches. This can happen especially on sharp points like the tips of satin-stitched lettering (picture the tips of a star) and can be fixed by opting for capped ends on these types of satin columns.
        Again, if you expect to do a lot of this, we really like Super Soft Tearaway from American Embroidery Supply. It offers more support than regular tearaway without the stiffness. It's a bit harder to tear, but certainly easier than cutaway.

Comment

oops, I don't even want to know what "spay" adhesive might be...sorry.

Comment

Working...
          X