Standard Sewing Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Sewing Speed

Hi all! I have an Amaya XTS that I purchased new in July 2104. I am new to the embroidery business. I have done a few paying jobs and many projects for myself and my family. I find that I have the best luck with most projects if I run my machine much slower than the machine is capable of. I took training at the Denver office and the trainer suggested that about 850 spm seemed to be a "sweet spot" where most designs should run well. I have no luck running much faster than 550 spm. I even did a large run of caps where I had to run some small lettering at 300 spm. If I speed up the machine I get lots of thread breaksand lose the quality of the design. Most of my thread breaks occur after the thread seems to "wad up" on itself. I use Madeira #40 polyneon thread and primarily 75/11 sharp titanium needles. I was been sewing mostly caps, sweatshirts, some nylon jackets and a few towels and other household items. Any advice would be great! Just wondering what everyone else's standard speed is!

We have more issues sewing slow. Normally run between 950 - 1150

Comment

I run at 1200, using Robison Anton poly thread, and 75/11 ballpoint needles. When there are thread issues with the top thread, the culprint, in my experience, is usually the bobbin. How is your tension there? What type of bobbin are you using? Have you tried a different bobbin case?

Comment

I run almost always at 1250.
        I would say you need to get use running at a faster speed
        the tensioning system is designed to preform better at the higher speed.
        [email protected]
        Jerome in Minnesota
        (320)259-1151

Comment

The very first question I want to ask is where do you have the "presser foot" height set at? The cog wheel should be turned "COUNTER-CLOCKWISE" all the way to the "LEFT" and the up 1 or 2 clicks for 99% of your sewing....possibly 3 on some caps.

Where is it set at now? Count the clicks as you turn it slowly counter clockwise...I would be curious to know.

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I use mostly Robison Anton metallics and Madeira rayon both of which are more prone to fraying problems than polyester; so theoretically I should have a lot more breakage problems than someone using Polyneon. I run most stuff at 1000spm. As been said on here many times there is a big learning curve for using the Amaya, but once you get the hang of things, you'll love it. I've never heard of anyone settling for 850spm; what's the use of a Mazarati if you can only go 35mph?
            If I were you, I'd spend some time on this site doing searches on various topics. Your problem could be due to anything from presser foot height to feed settings and everything in between. Any posting from "Rod or Sharon" you can take to the bank - he's a trainer and tech with a million years of experience (OK Rod, I exaggerated a bit). Here are a few of threads to get you started:

There are plenty more where these came from.

Comment

Oh, and didn't Sharon embroider the promo sweatshirts for the Mayflower expedition?

Comment

Yes, I did! :-) You are so funny Mama Kass...
                Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

And Rodney did the mast adjustments on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Marie....
                  Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies! Sorry I didn't say so sooner. For some reason, I did not get any email notifications that anyone had replied! I will try running faster and see if I have less issues. Rod or Sharon I try to run the presser foot as low as possible. The caps I was having the most issues with were Adams and even though they were a structured cap, the cap fabric was really soft. The small letters wanted to sink into the caps.

Comment

Thanks I will get brave and speed things up!

Comment

Working...
                      X