Embroidery on silk robe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embroidery on silk robe

Hi All! I have a customer who wants to do an embroidered robe for a bride. She wants to put the bride's new last name on the back of the robe. I have sewn two samples: #1 1 layer of broadcloth with 1 layer of 2.0oz tear away. #2 1 layer of broadcloth with 1 layer of 2.0oz cutaway. With the tear away, there is some wrinkling and pulling around the lettering. With the cut away there is less pulling, but you can see the outline of the backing through the fabric. Any advice for sewing on such light fabrics? Any one have experience with "No-Show" web type backings on this type of fabric? Thanks!
    Attached Files

A few questions...
    What fabric is the robe? Is it also broadcloth?
    How large is the name?
    I use "No-Show" on white dress shirts for a winery and actually, almost exclusively, on most garments I embroidery. I do use two pieces however just because I like my results. Give it a try.
    Sharon
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Sharon, the robe is silky nylon. I didn't have any nylon to sew a sample, so I tried it with the broadcloth I had on hand. The name is for the back of the robe and is approx 11in wide and 1.7in tall. I will have to get some large pieces of no-show, I only have some little pre-cut sheets. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by bluedog View Post
        Sharon, the robe is silky nylon. I didn't have any nylon to sew a sample, so I tried it with the broadcloth I had on hand. The name is for the back of the robe and is approx 11in wide and 1.7in tall. I will have to get some large pieces of no-show, I only have some little pre-cut sheets. Thanks for the advice!
        When I use the no-show, I add a piece of tearaway also, and add a tiny spray of adhesive just to keep things together. With the no-show next to the garment, and the tearaway, it gives it alittle more stability, and still doesn't show.
        Susan
        @Hidden Cottage
        Hidden Cottage

Comment

I prefer not to use tearaway with soft fabrics because even though you tear away remains of the stabilizer, it is still stiff and somewhat rough around the edges of the back of the embroidery and under the thread. Too stiff for my liking even though it will eventually wash away and disappear - most of it at some point. I want my garment to be as soft after the embroidery is applied as it was before. Just my own preference.
          Sharon

Comment

Nothing to do with backing but my 2 cents... I'd use a about a 4 point pull comp on this font. See how the period has flattened out in the direction of the stitches.

On another note - is there any stretch to the fabric? Sharon, what would you do if there were?

Comment

Sorry friends, I am dealing with funeral arrangements for my younger brother today so am a bit distracted.

Always a cutaway stabilizer and the underlay will keep things from stretching. Also good hooping techniques of not stretching the fabric but have it taut. With a delicate, script font, I would probably start with a zigzag underlay and add an edge walk if that didn't keep it under control.
              Sharon

Comment

The folks on this site never cease to amaze me.. on such a day, Sharon finds the time to respond. Your generosity is our good fortune.

Comment

I agree completely with Mama Kass! Thank you all so much for responding to my questions!

Comment

Working...
                  X