Sublimated fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sublimated fabric

Hello and help, please. Has anyone tried to embroider on sublimated Dri-Fit fabric? I have some very nice Nike polos that a customer supplied and after embroidering one we realized they are sublimated. Is it even possible to embroider on sublimated fabric? Since the dye of sublimation sits on top of the fabric when those threads are separated by the needle the white of the fabric is exposed.
    Are we beating our heads agianst a brick wall here? I am sure we are going to see more and more sublimation start coming thru.
    thanks!
    SharonA
    Goldden Corp dba University Spirit
    Purdue University
    West Lafayette, IN

Originally posted by SharonA View Post
    Hello and help, please. Has anyone tried to embroider on sublimated Dri-Fit fabric? I have some very nice Nike polos that a customer supplied and after embroidering one we realized they are sublimated. Is it even possible to embroider on sublimated fabric? Since the dye of sublimation sits on top of the fabric when those threads are separated by the needle the white of the fabric is exposed.
    Are we beating our heads agianst a brick wall here? I am sure we are going to see more and more sublimation start coming thru.
    thanks!
    SharonA
    Goldden Corp dba University Spirit
    Purdue University
    West Lafayette, IN
    Sublimation doesn't sit on top of the fabric - the colors actually go into the fabric/become part of it by converting the ink to a gas. So I can't imagine embroidering on something that's been sublimated is much different that embroidering on a dri fit shirt.

Sublimation is the transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas phase without passing through the intermediate liquid phase.
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Thanks, John. I guess I didn't describe it very well. We do sublimate here so we do know that it is a sublimated polo. Regardless, the white from the inside of the fabric is appearing when we emb on it. I don't want to put a lot of time into this if it's an impossible task.

Comment

Originally posted by SharonA View Post
        Thanks, John. I guess I didn't describe it very well. We do sublimate here so we do know that it is a sublimated polo. Regardless, the white from the inside of the fabric is appearing when we emb on it. I don't want to put a lot of time into this if it's an impossible task.
        Gotcha.

So, lets talk how you are doing it.

1) Topping or no topping?

2) Backing - what are you using

3) Thread feed - what are your settings

Shouldn't be impossible.
        John Yaglenski
        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

No topping
          2 pieces of 2 oz cutaway
          Actifeed on auto
          Upon reflection, we probably should have used one piece of tearaway and one piece of mesh with a water soluable topping.

Comment

Can you post a picture. I have never had an issue such as this with sub poly...
            Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Sublimate- J Purdue club

Here it is. One piece of mesh, one piece of tearaway and Solvy. 75/11 ballpoint.
              Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
              SharonA
              Attached Files

Comment

I just sewed this with a 65/9 needle. I can see an improvement around the flag but the lettering could use some improvement. I will decrease the density of the lettering and see what happens.
                -SharonA

Comment

Try a sharp needle. Sounds wrong but you may be pushing the poly thread apart exposing the white. My other thought is why are the garments not being dyed through out the fiber. Use 2 or 3 points as the pull comp. May look better than using a percentage.
                  Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Working...
                  X