Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning of Rotary Hook, or Get New One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning of Rotary Hook, or Get New One?

I have an old style "Big Red" machine from '03 and am wondering if I need to replace the rotary hook. I've noticed that the rotary hook surfaces (at least the sections I can see) seem coated in debris from use over time. (I clean the parts I can get to, but it's only a small percentage of the whole thing.)

I'm guessing I can't get to most of the surfaces of the rotary hook unless it's disassembled, and I'm really not keen on doing that! Is it customary to replace it after several years, or clean it?

I've been experiencing some strange problems that I think I can only attribute to the rotary hook, since I believe I've tried just about everything I can think of to eliminate them (including having a tech come and "service" this beast), so I'm looking to you folks to see what you think.

Can a rotary hook be properly cleaned? Self-replaced? If so, easily?

Another thing...I looked up the rotary hook info on my machine, and the part number on the website parts list (#33724) is different than mine (#32408).

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim Sulsona
    Laughing Palm, Inc.

Unless your hook has scratches or burrs, you shouldn't need to replace it. Mine is over ten years old and still fine. You may need to do a hook wash; see this thread:

Comment

Wow - I've never heard of a "hook wash" - thanks! I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I know there's got to be lots of crud in there...
      Jim Sulsona
      Laughing Palm, Inc.

Comment

Working...
      X