Wacf-lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacf-lp

I have an Amaya OS "Big Red". I purchased it used about 5 years ago. It came with a cap frame and attachment that I have never used. I want to try to use it now. I have looked at my manuals and I think the cap frame is the WACF (low profile). I think I have figured out how to put the hat on the hooping gauge. Now I need to put the driver on the machine. I do have paperwork that says the driver is adjusted to the machine.

When I am in Design Shop, what hoop do I select? I have the WACF in the list, but it does not have the anything saying low profile. I do have some notes that came with the machine saying to select WACF for the Wide Angle Cap Frame. I just want to make sure this is correct before I go any further.

In addition, the paperwork says that I need to install the raised needle plate and center the needle plate. Is this a fairly easy process? I don't want to mess up my machine for further embroidery jobs that are not sewing caps. Is it easy to re-set the machine once I change it?

Thanks,
    LouLou
    Last edited by LouLou; 01-14-2017, 11:24 AM. Reason: change title

LouLou,

Where do we start....first of all, what version of software ore you using in AOS? What level of Design Shop and what Version ? What style of cap frames do you have with your cap driver? If they are full circle cylinders, then they are the WACF ( Wide Angle Cap Frame ). If they are of the older Melco design which only does the frontal area of the caps, then they are CCF WAD ( Conventional Cap Frame Wide angle Driver ).

The "low profile" that you are referring to applies to the style of cap. You have low profile, medium profile, trucker style, etc....but, that does not relate to the particular cap design you are using.

Make absolutely sure that you are selecting the right cap driver designation in you hoop list! The WACF can do 270 degrees around the cap, but the CCF style only does the frontal area of a cap. This also applies to selecting the proper hoop/cap frame in Design Shop.

The raised needle plate.... if this is to be installed then the presserfoot adjusting cog wheel is run clockwise all the way up and then backed off two clicks. Lots of folks what have the Big Reds no longer use the raised needle plate at all. They leave the standard needle plate on and use it exactly the same as if you were sewing on flats. The would be all the way down ) counter clockwise ) to up 1 or two clicks.

Have you never taken off the flat needle plate to clean and lubricate underneath of it? If not you should have been. There are only two screws that are holding the needleplate onto the sewing arm.. When replacing the needlepate and putting the screws back in, leave them just so the needle plate can be moved from side to side as there will be a tiny bit of play. Then go into Maintanence, Head Timing and left click on Bottom Center. That will drop the needle down to its lowest position so that you can center the needle in the hole and then tighten the screws. On that same screen when you are done tightening the screws, left click on Head Up. That will return the needlebar to its full headup position.

The cap driver MUST also be installed properly. It is ALWAYS a good idea to select the cap driver designation in your hoop list AND then CENTER this to the machine by clicking on Center Hoop either in the tool bars or using the Hoop and Center ( Bullseye target ) buttons on the machine keypad BEFORE installing the capdriver on the machine.

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Waco-lp

Originally posted by Rod or Sharon View Post
      LouLou,

Where do we start....first of all, what version of software ore you using in AOS? What level of Design Shop and what Version ? What style of cap frames do you have with your cap driver? If they are full circle cylinders, then they are the WACF ( Wide Angle Cap Frame ). If they are of the older Melco design which only does the frontal area of the caps, then they are CCF WAD ( Conventional Cap Frame Wide angle Driver ).

The "low profile" that you are referring to applies to the style of cap. You have low profile, medium profile, trucker style, etc....but, that does not relate to the particular cap design you are using.

Make absolutely sure that you are selecting the right cap driver designation in you hoop list! The WACF can do 270 degrees around the cap, but the CCF style only does the frontal area of a cap. This also applies to selecting the proper hoop/cap frame in Design Shop.

The raised needle plate.... if this is to be installed then the presserfoot adjusting cog wheel is run clockwise all the way up and then backed off two clicks. Lots of folks what have the Big Reds no longer use the raised needle plate at all. They leave the standard needle plate on and use it exactly the same as if you were sewing on flats. The would be all the way down ) counter clockwise ) to up 1 or two clicks.

Have you never taken off the flat needle plate to clean and lubricate underneath of it? If not you should have been. There are only two screws that are holding the needleplate onto the sewing arm.. When replacing the needlepate and putting the screws back in, leave them just so the needle plate can be moved from side to side as there will be a tiny bit of play. Then go into Maintanence, Head Timing and left click on Bottom Center. That will drop the needle down to its lowest position so that you can center the needle in the hole and then tighten the screws. On that same screen when you are done tightening the screws, left click on Head Up. That will return the needlebar to its full headup position.

The cap driver MUST also be installed properly. It is ALWAYS a good idea to select the cap driver designation in your hoop list AND then CENTER this to the machine by clicking on Center Hoop either in the tool bars or using the Hoop and Center ( Bullseye target ) buttons on the machine keypad BEFORE installing the capdriver on the machine.

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      My cap frame is all the way around, I am pretty sure it is the Wide Angle Cap frame by looking at the pictures in my manual. So does that mean I select WACF in my design program and on the Amaya OS?

I am using the Design Shop Pro Plus 2005 version, v.6.08.522, and the Amaya OS version is the 2005 v.6.08.522.

I am operating a "Big Red". So you think I can eliminate the raised needle plate? If so, that would eliminate a bit of my apprehension about trying to sew caps. (ha, ha).

I am in near Denton, TX, do you know of techs that are in the area? I might be looking for someone just to tune-up my machine, And how much that can cost?

Comment

Yes you would then use the WACF cap driver designation. Years ago my wife Sharon and Herb Acree did a video on hooping caps, the basics still apply today. Here is a link to that video.

Yes, you can eliminate the raised needle plate if you should choose to do so. Just be sure to treat the presser foot as if you were sewing on cflats as i mentioned before.

Your closest tech is located in the Dallas area. I will look that up for you.

Comment

Jonno Harrison
          Dallas, TX
          (214) 288-8024
          [email protected]
          Certified Technician & Trainer for
          All Melco Embroidery Machines & DesignShop

You will need to contact him for the pricing for his services. You can find a Tech map of certified techs that Melco has by going into Melco-Service.com

Comment

Working...
          X