a sick big red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a sick big red

we have a amaya big red and today it has started to make a unfortable squeaking noice...it sounds like its coming from the back of the machine.
    we havent had an errors but the sound is loud and doesnt sound good at all. It also seems to be struggling to move from one letter to the next..could someone help please!!!

My guess is that it needs major grease!

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

it wont give me an error it just goes off line

Comment

My thoughts also Juli...sounds like time to do a complete maintainence checkup, lube oil and grease everything whether it is time or not. Especially oiling the two steel rods under the 'big red' dome-the hard ones. I drilled 2 holes in the shield so my oil bottle tube would reach and took all the gymnastics out of trying to get my arm up in there.
        After you do all the greasing and oiling-if there is any change in the sound, you know you have found where the problem is. If the noise persists-then it is mechanical inside...time for a tech call!

Comment

Elaine,

Juli and Roland are giving you the right advice. A "full" lubrication of the machine means go into the timers and go through each step on the list.

The " squealing ", " squeaking " , may be coming from something more serious like the pulley and star washers on the Z-axis motor or a weak Z-axis motor or a worn bearing or a belt slipping, etc..... This may be the cause of the OS going off line.

If the machine has not seen a tech for some time, as Roland suggested, it may be time for that dreaded tech to come fiddle with the machine....

Where are you located?

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I'M LOCATED IN SPRING GROVE IL

YEA WE CALLED A TECH PROBABLY A Z AXIS MOTOR
            POOR BIG RED AND HE'S MY FAVORITE
            HOPEFULLY HE WILL BE UP AND RUNNING AGAIN SOON

THANKS EVERYONE

Comment

The original Z motors in big reds were underpowered and were replaced by a high efficiency motor. I have had to replace 2 out of the 3 motors in our 3 big reds to date.

And yes, that going offline is what happened when they both failed. They would sew and then all of a sudden just stop. First time it happened, it took us a while to troubleshoot what was happening. Second time, I immediately ordered the newer motor...

Can't remember the cost but remember it wasn't cheap.
              John Yaglenski
              Amayausers.com - Webmaster
              Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
              Hilton Head Island, SC
              http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Sometime back I had to replace a Z axis motor in an early model Big Red. The frame castings have changed over the years and the Z motors have become a bit larger. I had to do some serious constructive surgery to keep the encoder on the back end of the motor from touching the casting.

The encoder is extremely sensitive and must not touch any part of the machine except the motor that it is attached too...just a warning...

Rod Springer
                Amaya Tech & Trainer
                Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Okay,
                  Just to clarify on what everyone's been talking about. If in fact you are having troubles with your Z motor, the cost for a new motor is around $849 US dollars. Yes, that's right. I've heard they are listed on Melco's website. I may be off a couple of dollars either way but that is the ball park.

With that said, and after reading the symptoms, I'm going to guess your rear bobbin shaft bearing that has gone bad. I'm basing this guess on "loud squeaking", "back of machine", "original Amaya", "no errors", and "doesn't sound good at all".

This is definitely not a common job but I have seen it once on an early model Amaya and about five times on the EMC and EMT machines. Basically, the sealed bearing springs a leak and all the grease escapes over time and then the bearing runs dry until it gives the symptoms you described.
                  Let me know if you need a good tech, I'm only 18 hours away.
                  Seriously, let us know how things turn out.

Ed Orantes
                  Melco Tech & Trainer
                  504-258-6260
                  -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

WELL MAYBE I SHOULD LET THE TECH HERE WHAT YOU HAVE ALL SAID MIGHT HELP HIM OUT
                    HE CAME OUT TODAY AND THOUGHT THAT IT WAS THE X DRIVE CABLE THAT HAD LOST TENTION, ALSO SAYING HAVING VERSION 9 IT MAKES IT WORSE, WELL HE SAID HE WOULD TIGHTEN IT UP AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN UNTIL WE GET IN THE CORRECT CABLE ( WE ORDERED THE 3937 MM INSTAED OF THE 4700 MM NEEDED)
                    WELL WE STARTED RUNNING THE MACHINE AND BAD BAD THINGS HAPPENED. PRESSURE FOOT AND NEEDLE BAR CAME DOWN AND THE WENT OFF LINE, I TURNED THE MACHINE OFF WAITED AND THEN TURNED BACK OFF, THEN THE HORRIBLE HAPPENED THE NEEDLECASE MOVED TO HOME WITHOUT THE PRESSURE FOOT AND NEEDLE COMING BACK UP FROM ORIGIANL LOCATION, I NOW HAVE TWO NEEDLE BARS DOWN AND A MACHINE IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP. HE IS CONFUSED ON WHAT HAPPENED.

Comment

I JUST LEARDNED TO TYPE TODAY LOL HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WITH ALL THE TYPOS

Comment

Elaine,
                        Yes, a loose X cable on an original Amaya combined with version 9 can create some crazy noises however it shouldn't cause the machine to malfunction.
                        Is there something wrong with the X cable that is currently on the machine? What's the reason for ordering a new cable? Usually a tech can reset the tension on the existing cable.
                        If you have needlebars that are down, then you don't want to power up the machine until they are in their correct place.
                        Don't worry that your tech is confused on what happened. All of us techs are confused until someone tells up what happened or until we make a calculated/educated guess. Anyone with technical aptitude can be a tech. Trying to figure out what happended can be the toughest part.
                        If your tech wants to talk shop, have he or she give me a call.

Ed
                        504-258-6260
                        -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Definately sounds like it was the motor... Like big ED, I am confused why you needed a new cable - normally they can be retensioned, but the machine going offline is a symptiom of that motor going bad (like I said - that's EXACTLY what happened on my two reds). So essentially, the Z motor is toast, it got stuck in down and didn't come up (which was typical in this problem). Sometimes turning off and on would get it to cycle up, but I always hand turned it before I tried. So, you tried, and the machine moved on the X axis (because that motor is ok) while the Z didn't cycle up - and then something got caught and needle bars dropped. Sounds very plausible to me. The tech should be able to work this out, but my guess is you are going to need a motor before all is said and done. I am sure your tech was working a logical process and will get things worked out for you. The Z motor going isn't that common - like I said, it took support and I a few hours going thru a ton of different stuff including software/aos issues and a bunch of other stuff before we finally worked it out. Worse yet, when the motor was dying, it would work fine for a while and then crap out and go offline. Anyway, let us know how it works out.
                          John Yaglenski
                          Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                          Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
                          Hilton Head Island, SC
                          http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Working...
                          X